Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install older hard drive or junk it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doingitwell

doingitwell

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

I have a 5+ year old computer that has been infected pretty good. I've got it mostly cleaned up but it's still not working properly and I'm about to throw
the towel in. Here's my question, would it be worth pulling the HD out, formatting it, and installing in my newer computer as a secondary/slave drive? The HD is only 200GB but it's free storage except for the few bucks for another SATA cable.

Should I decide to use it a slave drive, can I just format it and then use it? Or is there more steps involved, like partitioning or whatever?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

You could use it i guess just don't rely on it for a backup drive and also yes you can just format and use. :thumbsup: also just install no need to use any jumpers (i love sata for that reason) :flowers:

Have a good night. :trumpet:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

I personally would use it in the newer computer. An extra 200GB could definitely come in handy, especially for the low cost of a SATA cable. The only other thing to worry about is whether the power supply can handle the extra HD. In a lot of cases the answer would be yes, but it varies from one computer to the next. Since it has been infected i would make sure that it's a fresh format, but just a single partition.

#4 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thank you "kid that knows a lot". Why couldn't I rely on it for a backup? Is it because of age? I do have an external Seagate 500GB I just bought that I use as a backup though.

#5 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Kilgore, thank you too for the post. I agree, if I could have more room for storage, why not, especially since I have 4 empty bays for just such an item. The power supply wouldn't be a problem. Could you explain a bit further about what you mentioned in regards to a "fresh format"? I understand the single partition thing.

Thank you!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Why couldn't I rely on it for a backup? Is it because of age?

Yes.
5 yrs is about the life expectancy, of a harddrive.

Could you explain a bit further about what you mentioned in regards to a "fresh format"?

Formatting the drive, should remove any traces of previous infections.
You don't want to infect your newer computer. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users