Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop monitor screen white

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lostfan17

Lostfan17

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hello, I own a HP dv2700 laptop.
About a couple of months ago, my screen has been acting weird. it would only work at certain angles, or sometimes it slowly fades to white. I would just adjust it a couple of times, and it would work fine until I close the lid. After I open the lid though, i would have to adjust it again. But just this morning, it has stopped working all together. It is now completely all white. There is a vertical strip of color and some other strips of color, but it is pure white, no matter at any angle and adjustments. Anyone know whats wrong? Its black when I shut it down, but as soon as I turn it on it becomes white.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:58 AM

Hello, welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

Can you see any images at all on the screen when it is all white?

Or are you saying any image at all is bleached out.

I take it the back lighting is still working is this correct?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hello!! Yes, the back lighting is still working.
At the time I could not see any image at all. But this just morning, I somewhat fixed it. It only works at one angle however. If i put the monitor at any other angle, the image gets "stuck". I fixed this by pushing in the hinge, connecting the laptop to the monitor. It seems as if my left hinge was broken. My right hinge, which was fine, is more pushed in. while the left hinge was loose and pushed outside. As soon as I pushed it in, images started coming up however I had to keep on adjusting until I found an angle where it worked. Any ideas on whats wrong? Is it loose wires, or is it the whole LCD screen? Thanks!!

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Here is a link to some directions for assembly/dissassembly (hopefully) as you didn't post your complete model number.
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...p;submit=Go+%BB

Most of the time on HP lappys, you remove the upper keyboard trim, remove keyboard, and that exposes the video connector on the motherboard. Sometimes you can see the wire bundle that runs near/through the hinge (left) and inspect it from there. Usually you have to remove the lid/screen/hinges and pull it off to see the wire bundle completely. You might have to slice open the cover that holds the wires together to inspect them. Look for pinched/broken wires and go from there.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

Here is a link to some directions for assembly/dissassembly (hopefully) as you didn't post your complete model number.
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...p;submit=Go+%BB

Most of the time on HP lappys, you remove the upper keyboard trim, remove keyboard, and that exposes the video connector on the motherboard. Sometimes you can see the wire bundle that runs near/through the hinge (left) and inspect it from there. Usually you have to remove the lid/screen/hinges and pull it off to see the wire bundle completely. You might have to slice open the cover that holds the wires together to inspect them. Look for pinched/broken wires and go from there.

I suggest doing what dpunisher suggested above.

Very good advice dpunisher! :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

Sorry for the long response, my screen turned white again and just today i had access to a computer.
If I dont feel comfortable taking it apart by myself, should I just take it to the computer repair shop?

Edited by Lostfan17, 20 May 2010 - 07:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users