Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer woes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ibob

ibob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi guys, i built this rig about 2 weeks ago and everything was running fine until today. When i turned it on all i got was VGI not found. I tested the moniter on another computer and that worked fine. I took out the video card and tried the on board graphics, but that didn't work. I reseated all connectors and hardware, but that too did nothing. This leads me to believe that either the mb or video card is shot. I don't assume that the power supply is bad because the entire pc gets power, but maybe a wire went bad, i don't know. Also, the hard drive activity light stays on.

comp specs are attached below. note: video card is a ati 5850

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hello ibob and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I hope I can assist you in finding a solution to your problem.

I have reviewed your image and see you bought everything from newegg.

So, what your working with here is a new system to which you are already experiencing problems with.

I found it interesting that you say you tried switching to the on-board integrated video processor on the motherboard and nothing displayed on the screen.

This is than interesting scenario here that both video processors integrated and add-on failed to produce a picture on the monitor.

I realize you tried the monitor on another computer and it worked ok.

I have to ask if you entered your computers BIOS utility to change the video graphics settings from AGP/PCI-E to the integrated on-board graphics chip?

I am not sure if you are getting any video out-put at this point to even see your POST screen. So please advise me of this situation.

What we need to figure out here is how your video suddenly just stopped working. And why both Video options have failed to produce a picture to display on your monitor.

I am also curious if a regular older PCI card would work just to get a picture to display long enough to see the BIOS screen.

I also see you mentioned the hard drive light stays lit continuously, indicating a possible system lock-up.

This could mean you have a piece of hardware with its jumpers set wrong too. Is your hard drives and optical drives configured correctly?

If your system requires a 12 volt power plug plugged in on the motherboard for processor or video card and it lacks or isn't plugged in, you will experience problems like this.

I need a little bit more input from you, your description so far was great, but I need more input about what you can see on the screen if anything at all.

Do you hear any beeps at the POST besides the normal one beep?

I'll keep an eye on this thread for your reply.

Best regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users