Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my Laptop Blue screen when loading Windows

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 trumph

trumph

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Having repaired no end of PC problems in over 20 years I have found myself fixing laptops more and more, I have dealt with many on a 12000 user network (that was not a typo), and roughly 70% of Laptop blue screens are down to memory.

The memory itself may not be at fault, Laptops tend to get moved around and bumped about, so always remove the memory cover, unsnap and Sodimms, and clean the slots with a clean brush, DON'T blow them, you will risk putting moisture on the slots.

If there is one Sodimm, make sure it is firmly placed back in the slot and boot the PC, if you still get a BSD (Blue Screen of Death), if possible test the Sodimm in another laptop, if it tests OK, it may be that the memory slot is damaged (Only had a handful of those).

If you have more than one SODIMMS, try one at a time, in each slot to find which memory or slot is dud if any.

I know it seems like obvious stuff, but a lot of people just throw their hands in the air and don't think of it.

Of the remaining 30%, I'd say about 20% would be Windows stuffed up, 5% graphics memory duff, 5% all sorts of oddments all hardware related.

But laptops get bashed about and the Sodimms come dislodged ever so slightly, so often just reseating themsolves the problem

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users