Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space (Drive C) of less than 500mb

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 amb22

amb22

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi,

I have a Lenovo T43p and am running XP. I've had the computer for about 5 years and it slowly been losing C drive space. I've tried moving folders to D, deleting folders and programs I don't need, etc and it still creeps to low disk space and has gotten very bad the last few months and is running slow, etc.

I've CCleaner, a few other Cleanup and registry cleaner programs and Spyboy in addition to Windows disc cleanup program and I can't seem to get any more space.

On a 17gb hard drive © I only have about 470KB free.

I'm hoping someone can either point me in the direction of how to really clean up the drive or advise me on how to reformat my hard drive. I have an external hard drive I can move data to but am not sure if I can reformat the hard drive. I don't have any disks to reformat and have never done that before. I don't think my computer came with disks for reformatting so I'm not sure if I need to access the files from my computer.

I can't yet afford a new computer so I'm hoping someone can help me either clean up some space or advise me on reformatting without the disk.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

Windows needs at least 15% of a free space to run smoothly (2.5GB in your case), so with 17GB hard drive no matter what you do, you'll keep running into very same problem.
IMHO, you simply need bigger drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Are you adding these files that keep filling your drive, or are they self-generating?

If self generating, you could have an infection.
What antivirus are you running?
I'd also suggest running Malwarebytes', and SUPERAntiSpyware.
Download and run Malwarebytes' first, followed by SUPERAntiSpyware.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

Hi -
First follow the 2 items listed above -
Next - Go to Control Panel > open Add Remove Programs > Delete all programs that are not used on a regular basis -
With a small unit like that you can only have the programs that you need and use -
Thank You - :thumbsup:

#5 amb22

amb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

I don't think its malware. Its not regenerating, its just that over time my C drive (I have a C drive and a larger D drive) seems to be slowly filling up. I used to be able to move files around or uninstall unwanted programs but that doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore.

I suspect its filling up with unnecessary files from installing/uninstalling programs, etc since I have about the same number of programs on I've always had and I've most pretty much all personal files I have to my larger D drive which has a fair amount of extra space.

I don't know enough to just go through each folder and delete things that I don't know what they are (I tried using a program Space Monger) because although I can see the space each is taking it, I don't know whats obvious to delete. I know that some people when they run into this will reformat their harddrive but I don't know how to do that and don't have the disks (I don't think my computer came with disks for reformatting).

So essentially what I'm asking is 1) if I use a program like Spacemonger how do I know what to delete and 2) if reformatting is the best option, how do I do that without disks to reinstall windows?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

I do agree you need a larger hard drive.

However what is being over looked is the fact as you view pages using your browser, those pages are stored in a cache folder for easier access at a later date.

System restore uses a lot of disk space as well if it is enabled.

If you wish to continue to work with this drive size, I suggest you regularly visit the Windows disk clean-up utility and remove old no longer needed files.

Simply go to MY COMPUTER.

Right click drive C:

Choose PROPERTIES.

Choose General tab.

Click DISK CLEANUP button.

Allow it to scan and remove things like Temporary Internet files and Temporary files along with anything else old and outdated.

Windows will even show you how much disk space you will gain in the process.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 May 2010 - 08:58 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 amb22

amb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Thanks all for the quick replies and for the helpful advice. I really do appreciate it.

I've already run Disk Cleanup unfortunately so I can't gain a lot of space that way. That was the first thing I tried. I just tried it again and could only get an additional 52kb.

Yes, I realize I could use a bigger hard drive. Right now, I can't afford to upgrade or buy a new computer so I need to work with what I have. What I'm saying is that this disk size worked great for a long time and I don't have more programs installed or files on the drive taking up space than what I had when I had a few GB of space. So essentially I know its been slowly filling up with something but I can't figure out what to delete.

I'm hoping someone can guide me on how to determine what is filling the hard drive up and how to determine what to delete.

Or, if the best option if to reformat, I'm hoping someone can guide me on how to do that without disks. I think I've read sometimes a computer manufacturer will store all of the drivers, etc on your computer in case you need to reformat in lieu of giving you disks but I've never reformatted a hard drive before.

Any advice on what to delete or how to reformat without the disk?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

Download/install Windirstat from http://windirstat.info/. Click the button WinDirStat 1.1.2 Setup (Ansi & Unicode), on the next page...click the direct link button.

Take a screen shot after you have selected the individual drive and the screen has settled.

Louis

#9 amb22

amb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Louis! Here is a copy of the screenshot.

Attached Files

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Clearing system restore points can typically easily recover considerable disk space

Clearing system restore points
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

You need to enlarge to full screen view for that window...it doesn't look as if you are removing the correct files, since Program Files and Windows seem to account for a little over 50% of space used.

Disregard...let's see the detail for Documents & Setttings...anything in My Docs, My Pictures, My Music...can be moved from the hard drive and put on CD/DVD, or other removeable media.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#12 amb22

amb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Eyesee! That did clear up some space. I have about 1.28 GB free now.

I looked through the documents folder and found some random adobe files I missed. I'm up to 1.31 GB free now.

Louis - thanks again - I've attached an updated screenshot. Is this the detail you need to see?

Attached Files

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

My candidates for removal...email (probably in Application Data/Microsoft/Identitites) and anything else in any Application Data folder and whatever is in any Apple Computer folder. IMO, your Application Data folders are all much too large. My folders average about 200MB each.

If you have iTunes installed...empty it, if you must use it.

My Music must go...can be stored on CD/DVD...or external drive.

If you have hibernation enabled...I suggest disabling it.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#14 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

you said you have a larger drive "D" you can install all your programs to that drive and just use c for the os. you can do this by telling the installer to put the program folder in d when prompted for the location upon installation. i hope im not confusing you but the install program will map the directories and put it in your all programs just as it does when you install to c drive or if you dont mind a cluttered desktop pu icons there

edited for spelling

Edited by rayj0054, 17 May 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#15 amb22

amb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

I already have Hibernation turned off. I double checked that.

I want to keep Itunes since its probably the program I use the most. I did move it to my D folder to clear up space. I have it installed on D and all mymusic stored there where I have enough room.

There is nothing in MyMusic - deleted it and never had anything in it.

How do I go through my application data and remove stuff I don't need?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users