Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP2 - CPU is always around 65-100%

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MrRob

MrRob

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hi, newbie here.

See, I have this "little" problem. My Pc has been kinda slow lately, so yesterday I decided to format all drives and reinstall Windows.
I was hoping that that would fix the problem but it didn't...

Pc specs:
1400mhz AMD
640mb Ram
Maxtor Hd 40gb
Nvidia Riva TnT Model 64
Win XP Pro SP2 ( installed all the updates today)

I took a screenshot of my taskmanager (I'm running a swedish version on XP but I think you'll get the picture)

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cputoohigh8hl.jpg

That's how high my CPU usage is with almost no apps running , I just turned the computer on. It was like that before the format/re-install too.
I can still use most of the programs, it's slow sometimes but works ok (mainly music and grafics software btw).

Now, I just got a external burner and installed a USB 2.0 card.
The burner works fine on my other Pc but it takes forever to read a dvd/cd on this computer. Altho, I can burn dvd's and cd's without any problems at all. Kinda weird don't you think.
But I don't think that has anything to do with the high CPU useage because it was that high before I installed the USB card and the burner.

So, what's up? How can I resolve this, my CPU shouldn't be this high.
It's making me sick, cus I dunno what to do...

Thanks in advance!
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

On the Process tab of Task Manager, click the box in the lower-left corner. The translation for this is "show processes for all users". Although you may only have one user on your computer, this will verify that it is showing everything. By the way, the very last entry is System Idle Process-basically it is the % of the CPU that is just waiting around for you to do something. Kinda like "unused CPU %".

A screen shot is very helpful. Would you please submit another one after checking show all users?

To do a screen shot more effectively, you can use the CTRL+Print screen after you have the Task Manager as the active window. To make sure it is the active window, just single click the titlebar of it. By using CTRL+Print Screen, only the active window will be saved to clipboard, thereby making your image much smaller.

Edited: My mistake. The keyboard command for printing the active window is ALT+Print Screen, NOT CTRL+Print screen. I apologize for the confusion. I guess I really live up to my name as confused user :thumbsup:

Edited by confused_user, 01 October 2005 - 10:25 AM.

#3 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:41 AM

Wow, quick reply! :thumbsup:

Here's the requested screenshot:
Posted Image Click Click

By the way, the very last entry is System Idle Process-basically it is the % of the CPU that is just waiting around for you to do something. Kinda like "unused CPU %".

Yeah, that's what why I think it's so weird that it says 70%+ is being used at the bottom of the window.

Hope you can help me out or atleast point me in the right direction.
Thanks for the screenshot tip btw!

Thx!
Rob

#4 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

hmmmm something is using up the CPU, but not showing.

Lets make a few columns appear that are not part of the default. On the Processes tab, click view (Visa on your screen). Chose the last option which is select columns. Because I do not have the translation for you, I will have to tell you which ones to check based on location. When the select columns comes up, you should have a double column list: 13 on the left (counting the first grayed out one) and 12 on the right. If your configuration is not the same, let me know please. The ones I would like for you to check are : first column numbers 3, 4, 5, 7, and 13; second column 2 and 5. Of course click ok to proceed. Now, your Task Manager should be much bigger and you may have to resize your window (by putting the cursor in the extreme lower-right of the window and dragging the window).

At first, the order of Image names (Namn on your computer) may be completely out of order, but we are about to fix that. I would like for you to arrange the order based on CPU usage. To do this, place your cursor on CPU and you will see that it is highlighted. Click it once to arrange the order in DESENDING order and once again to arrange them in ASENDING order. Please click it twice, wait a moment to assure that System Idle Process is not at the top, take another picture and post it please. This will help out in determining what process is using the CPU% alot. A side note on arranging the Task Manager. As the processes change, you will see that they automatically re-arrange :thumbsup:

#5 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

Jesus, this is embarrasing.
I restarted the computer a couple of times without the external burner and now my CPU usage is around 10%. Maybe it had something to do with my USB card afterall, but I got that last week and it's been like that for atleast 3 months.
But I dunno what happend because it's been around 70% for ages. Do you practice telepathy perhaps? :thumbsup:

I'm sorry for wasting your time and thanks alot for the help!

Cheers!
Rob
Ps: Maybe I should print that screen afterall, just incase. I'll have to get back to that later today/ or tomorrow cus I have to leave for dinner.

#6 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'm sorry for wasting your time and thanks alot for the help!

Not a waste of time at all and you are quite welcome.

When you return, I look forward to your screen shot :thumbsup:

#7 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:14 PM

Ok I'm back.
I dunno if I got it right but I hope I did.

Posted Image <-- Click

Everything looks ok to me now.
So I'm thinking it has to be my USB 2 card that's messing things up, I know that the external burner works on my other computer.
I can burn stuff on this computer though, at a rate of 8x and the dvd discs seems to be ok. But it's almost impossible to copy files or watch movies with it, it takes forever to do that. It keeps spinning the discs up and down., it never seems to get a good flow going.
The USB card seems to be ok, meaning that it finds the devices hooked up to it and the drivers and stuff are where they should be. No conflicts from what I can see.
So that's kinda weird. Could it be "broken" but still be working...? :thumbsup:
Maybe switching PCI slots would help.

Computers are great huh! :flowers:

Laters.
Rob :trumpet:

Edited by MrRob, 01 October 2005 - 04:30 PM.

#8 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

I can burn stuff on this computer though, at a rate of 8x and the dvd discs seems to be ok. But it's almost impossible to copy files or watch movies with it, it takes forever to do that. It keeps spinning the discs up and down., it never seems to get a good flow going.

That is a sign of the USB port acting as a version 1 instead of 2. Have you tried to plug it into another USB port?

So that's kinda weird. Could it be "broken" but still be working...?

Yes, it is possible. It is almost like it is working at half speed or power.

Out of curiousity, do you run Bittorrent, or Zone Labs Firewall (or other Zone Alarm products)?

If you dont mind, I would like a little background on your computer. I would like to know the make/model number, how long you had it, and also what type of internet connection you have. Something tells me you have a minor problem.

#9 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:05 AM

Out of curiousity, do you run Bittorrent, or Zone Labs Firewall (or other Zone Alarm products)?

Yep, I do use Bittorrent and ZoneAlarm Pro.

That is a sign of the USB port acting as a version 1 instead of 2. Have you tried to plug it into another USB port?

Yeah, I've tried all 4 ports. I also tried with a external HD (Lacie P3 250gb) earlier this week. I had a hard time getting the Pc to boot with that plugged in.

I would like a little background on your computer. I would like to know the make/model number, how long you had it, and also what type of internet connection you have

I've had the Pc for about 3 years.
It's one of those Mom and Pop store built computer so it's no particular brand.
I've forgotten what Mobo I have, I'll get back to you on that. (Gonna open it up and put the USB2 card in another slot)
I'm on cable, 8/1 Mbps.

Rob.
Ps: My CPU is around 50-70% atm. I plugged in the burner yesterday to see if anything had changed, but it was still reading slow and it also made the CPU go up to 60-80%. So I unplugged it and restarted, the CPU dropped back to 10-20%.
I turned the computer off and went to bed. I got up about an hour ago and turned it back on only to see the CPU at 50-70% again. No USB devices are plugged in.
Gonna try and restart it to see if it will drop.

#10 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:33 AM

I've rebooted the computer 7 times now.

External burner unplugged:
----------------
1. CPU 70%+
2. CPU 15%
3. CPU 70%+
4. CPU 50%+
5. CPU 70%+
----------------
External burner plugged in:
6. CPU 70%+
7. CPU 70%+

I guess I just got lucky yesterday and on the 2nd reboot today.
Gonna remove the USB card now and see if that has anything to do with the high CPU.

Edit: This is the motherboard I'm using

Edit2: I removed the USB2 card and that solved the CPU problem, it's back at 10%.
I installed it into another slot and the CPU rocketed to 70% when I hooked up the Dvd burner. The burner is still slow though. So I'm back at square one...
It's weird tho, as I said earlier, I can burn at a speed of 8x but not read faster then 1x (just guessing, it might be even slower).
Now with the USB 1.1 card I can only burn at 0.69x and read at the same speed.
I don't understand why I can burn at 8x with USB2 but not read discs at that speed.
It's pretty frustrating... :thumbsup:

Cheers!
Rob

Edited by MrRob, 02 October 2005 - 05:43 AM.

#11 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

*Bump* :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

Just where are you finding these CPU usage stats you talk about as being 70%?

I looked at the screenshot you supplied...and that looks perfectly normal. A process that (I think) is ZoneAlarm is running...system idle is over 90%.

If you are talking about the CPU number at the bottom of the Task Manager window...that should be high if any programs are running at all.

Mine is 100% and I have an AV program, a firewall, and Folding@Home running all the time. It should be 100%, since Folding will use any capacity that it available (not being used by another application or process).

Look at the CPU figures in the column on the processes tab. What is reflected there with the highest percentage, when you cite these 70% figures?

Louis

#13 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

Is your XP SP1 or SP2?

#14 MrRob

MrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:50 PM

If you are talking about the CPU number at the bottom of the Task Manager window...that should be high if any programs are running at all.

Yes that's the one I'm talking about ( it says CPU-Användn: on my Pc), should it really be around 70% when I'm only running a firewall and just booted up the Pc?
I assumed there was something wrong with my Pc, a friend of mine has a similar setup and it's usally around 5%-15%.
Well, anyways when I removed the USB2 card it dropped from 70% to about 10%.
So I dunno.

I'm still having a hard time understanding the issues with the external burner, how it's it possible that I can burn at a speed of 8x but not read discs faster then 1x?
Since I'm able to burn at 8x the USB2 card must be working in that direction but not when stuff is being transferd from the burner into the Pc.

I'm going to try that USB2 card in another computer tomorrow. I'll get back with more info after I've done that.

Is your XP SP1 or SP2?

I'm running XP Pro SP2.

Thanks!
Rob

#15 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

No it shouldn't be running that high. But I can't see anything that is causing to be that high. Mine runs around 2-15% at all times and I am running a lot more programs then you are.

Posted Image

Without reading the whole thread:
Have you checked for spyware &/or malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users