Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer kept crashing and now no display

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Over the past few days, my computer kept crashing every half hour or so, today it got worse, and it was crashing every 5 minutes or sooner. The computer just restarted and did not display the BSOD, and it did not ask to send an error report. I went and put the crash dump through the debug program and it said it was caused by portcls.sys (might be different by a few characters) I was about to upload the dump file to here, but now the monitor is not detecting the computer, and the hard disk light on the computer is flashing, but not as if it is busy it's flashing every second steadily as if to show there is an error. At first I thought this was a driver issue, but now I'm thinking it's a virus or the hard drive has gone. Any suggestions what to do?

Thanks
Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Well we have a lot of things that could be wrong here, One could be overheating, two could be a hard drive failure, three could be a virus(least likely), or a video processor problem.

Ok so, try turning it off an let it set for a little while to let it cool down and try to start it again.
:huh:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi

I think two things had happened, one was that the hard drive had gone and the other was the graphics card over heating.
The Hard drive went, and when I put in a new unused hard drive and installed linux on it it seemed fine until it cut out and the monitor was blank again.
I then noticed the fan on the graphics card was jammed, so I cleaned that and everything seemed to work Ok.

Ordered a whole new system now, it was time to replace anywway.
Thanks for your help
Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

Well that is one way to fix it glad you got it fixed and good luck on your new system!
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users