Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast 5 Behavior Shield Slows Down XP?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 daveplaysbass

daveplaysbass

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hello,

My son got into some bad stuff which led me to this forum a few months back. After some research I went with Avast Anti Virus (free version), Malware Bytes (paid version), and Comodo Firewall (free version). I have had a lot of slow behavior when surfing and doing email. The cursor is unstable and I cannot type things without a long wait. I turned of the Avast Behavior Shield and everything is a lot better. What have I lost turing off this feature? There are still several other Avast Shields running along with the Malware Bytes and Comodo.

Any suggestions? Should I try a different AV program?

Thanks,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

hello daveplaysbass,

The behaviour shield is a bit of a mystery! There's quite a few questions about it on the Avast forums and no real answers. I think the guys on there have been waiting for months for a 'promised' explanation from an Avast official.

Found out a few things tho. This is a quote from an interview with a Avast official ....

"The Behavior Shield that we shipped in version 5.0 is a new component that is going to be further developed moving forward. For example, in version 5.1, we will be adding more sensors that will allow for even finer-grain filtering.
For now, the Behavior Shield is focused on exploits coming via typical mechanisms (browser, PDF reader, and flash vulnerabilities, for example). It also closely monitors all kernel-mode code (drivers) loaded into the operating system, and is able to detect zero-day rootkits.
"

So whilst it's new and not operating at it's fullest potential, it still is an important part of Avast!

It's not supposed to use hardly any system resources, but a few people have had problems with it conflicting with other software. One person had the problem of it conflicting with the 'Payed' version of Malwarebytes. And thats interesting because my set up is the same as yours, Avast(free), Comodo firewall(free) but i have the Free version of Malwarebytes, and i have no problems with conflicts.

Its worth checking to see if there's any information in the Behaviour Shield report( at the bottom of the Behaviour shield page) in the avast user interface.

You could try to post a topic in the Avast forum http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Or you could just install a different free antivirus...... Avira is good :thumbsup:

Edited by 666philb, 18 May 2010 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users