Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with mic working on Windows XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sokrei

sokrei

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Ok, I have a very weird problem.

First, some info: my sounds work just fine. It's just that my computer thinks that my Realtec AC97 is hooked up even though it isn't. It behaves just like it would if all was normal. Second, my audio options USED to have two sound output systems when my mic was hooked in, the stereo speakers (that are a part of the monitor), AND the Realtec AC97 (when it was hooked up).

What happened was one day I unhooked my microphone/headset (Realtec AC97) and it still thought it was hooked up, but other than that sounds play normally. The computer's original sound device was just "stereo speakers" I believe.

Where I run into problems is that I need a microphone so I can talk to my friends online, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my computer to pick up another sound device. I have tried hooking up a new microphone/headset and it does not pick them up. It just thinks that the Realtec is hooked up at all times.

Help please?

Note: when I say microphone/headset I am referring to a headset with a microphone in it.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Question. Do you have an Asus brand motherboard?

At first guess, you have a headset with two plugs on the end of the wire, the mic and the earphone jack.

You probably have the mic plugged into the earphone jack, or you have the Asus motherboard that has the option of making the mic jack into a SIX speaker surround sound system.

If this is the case, let me know, I'll tell you how to revert it back to a Microphone jack.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sokrei

sokrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Oh, no. It's a headset. It has a microphone and speakers all in the same set. It all goes into ONE usb port. But I also tried to hook up a headset to my monitor jack and I tried to hook up a separate microphone entity into my microphone slot in the back of my computer.

But yes! It is an Asus!

#4 sokrei

sokrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

Any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users