Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

People using old computers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 thatman

thatman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:25 AM

Hi all

MICROSOFT ABANDONS 200,000,000 IE USERS
Microsoft has announced that the only way to receive the latest version of Internet Explorer is to install Windows XP SP2. This will likely have broad implications for most companies and individuals around the world leaving at least a couple hundred million Windows users without the most secure version of Internet Explorer.
If you aren't ready to upgrade to Windows XP SP2, consider Qwik-Fix Pro, which protects Internet Explorer on all versions of Windows going back to Windows 95. Qwik-Fix Pro has been offering many of the security improvements included with SP2 to all Windows users since September 2003.

Many experts have said that the most important security improvement in IE on SP2 is locking down the IE "My Computer Zone." This fundamental design flaw in the IE security model has been exploited by thousands of worms and viruses over the last 12 months. Qwik-Fix Pro fixed this in 2003, almost a full year before SP2 came out. Qwik-Fix Pro even offers improved security to XP SP2 users.

http://www.pivx.com/

This is a free download the offer ends 31 October 04

Have just download the program was not asked for any info reguarding payment

All the best

thatman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:59 AM

I found the following caution on the Qwik-Fix Pro site.

"The current version of Qwik-Fix Pro Home Edition is not compatible with Windows XP SP2. Version 1.2 of Qwik-Fix Pro Home Edition is compatible with SP2 will be released by October 1st. If you are running SP2, please hold off on loading Qwik-Fix Pro until 1.2 is released. We apologize for the inconvenience."

:thumbsup:

~Koan

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 October 2004 - 07:01 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:11 AM

O.K. this will secure I.E. 6.0. What does it do excactly? EDIT: I'm looking into it now. Hopefully this will be the answer for all of those who do not have XP , that Microsoft will leave hanging.

Edited by scarlett, 01 October 2004 - 07:57 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:52 AM

:thumbsup: Meant to click on edit for prior post.

Edited by scarlett, 01 October 2004 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:52 AM

Rather than add yet another layer to IE, and double the maintenance to keep both secure, why not just switch default browsers to one that does not use the IE engine?
I have found Mozilla or Firefox to be better browsers, and more secure than IE, which I use ONLY for MS update pages.
If it is true that MS will not be offering security patches for IE unless you have XP, then almost half the current user community will be left out in the cold; I suspect there will be a major outcry from them that will force MS to reverse a rather stupid decision from the folks that gave us trustworthy computing.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

I just installed Quick Fix Received this error or whatever while trying to view pics. in My Pictures. What is up??? First a box popped up w/ this messageYour current security settings prohibit Active X controls on this page. as a result this page may not display correctly.My ErrorEDIT: #2 I un-installed Quick Fix. And all of the above still show. Does anyone know what it all means? :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 01 October 2004 - 07:50 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:07 AM

Rather than add yet another layer to IE, and double the maintenance to keep both secure, why not just switch default browsers to one that does not use the IE engine?
I have found Mozilla or Firefox to be better browsers, and more secure than IE, which I use ONLY for MS update pages.
If it is true that MS will not be offering security patches for IE unless you have XP, then almost half the current user community will be left out in the cold; I suspect there will be a major outcry from them that will force MS to reverse a rather stupid decision from the folks that gave us trustworthy computing.
Cheers,
John

O.k. how much space is needed for Firefox or Mozilla? I would like to use one of them, not sure if I have the neccesary space.
Posted Image

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

I use firefox on this old pc, it takes little space up on the hdd. You want the link to the site well if so here it is:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:09 AM

Firefox, the stand alone browser is a measly 4.5MB. You will also need to install JavaRuntimeEnvironment and perhaps Flash if not already installed on your computer. There is a tutorial on installing Firefox here at Bleepingcomputer.
Mozilla is quite larger, since it includes an Email client, and HTML composer.
Both have some good add-ons, like a calendar, and the ability to open IE from within any page on screen.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 October 2004 - 11:12 AM.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:16 AM

Let me just say firefox beats IE to a pulp any day! There are so many features like having many pages open under one browser window! Takes up less space in the task bar! You will need java. You can get the version you need off of my website on the chat room page.
Cows3

#11 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:47 PM

I'm an active member in both the Opera and Mozilla forums, as I use Firefox 1.0PR (zip build - as I'm an active trunk tester) plus Opera 7.54.

I'd caution members not to completely uninstall IE, as Windows Update, many AV products, and other products rely on it. Instead, only use IE on your most trusted sites and harden your IE environment. On my PCs I still have it as the default browser, I just use the others a lot more :thumbsup:

Then use Firefox or Opera as they are faily safe and highly functional browsers for non-XP systems. XP SP2's version of IE is fairly secure, but I've always had the other 2 browsers running in concert on my XP SP2 system.

You can have all 3 browsers open at the same time with no conflicts. One use for me is to test newly developed web pages with multiple browsers to ensure all users can access them correctly. It's also neat to have to 3 Yahoo email accounts open at the same time if needed.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:53 PM

Well, all is o.k. with MY Pictures It must of been something with Quick Fix. I guess I'll go with Firefox. Thanks guy's for all your help.
Posted Image

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:10 AM

Instead, only use IE on your most trusted sites and harden your IE environment.

How does one harden one's IE enviroment? I'm assuming it is in > Tools> Internet Options. Could someone please help me out with this? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:00 AM

Like the dont go to site list. There is a program what is it???? Well skipped my mind. Scarlet you said you got your pics back?

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

Scarlett, here are some basic instructions for setting your IE:

For Zones:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/...curity/settings

For ActiveX (from another post by Grinler):

Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
2. Click once on the Security tab
3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
1. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
2. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
3. Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
4. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
5. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
6. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
7. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
8. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
5. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 02 October 2004 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users