Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In Windows 7 can Windows Media Player recognize "Other Libraires" that you make under "Library" folders?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

In Windows 7 the folder structure allows you to make "Other Libraries" under the "Library" folder structure. But these other Libraries that you make under the "Libray" folder structure do NOT appear in Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7?

There is a category labeled "Other Libraries" in Windows Media Player but it only seems to list other media programs like my Rhapsody account when I am playing it. Otherwise nothing appears under the Media Player Library category "Other Libraries".

Is there a way to make Windows Media Libraries other than the basic ones of Music, Videos, Pictures, Recorded TV and Other Media and to get them to appear in Windows Media Player? - To get them to appear under "Other Libraries" in Windows Media Player?

Anyone know how this can be done? Thanks.

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Not sure what you're asking ... what other type of file/folder do you want to open with WMP?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

When you open the Windows 7 Explorer, you can see some predefined libraries available which are music, images, videos etc.

When you navigate to any particular library folder, you can actually see which all locations is this library referring to. You can add a new folder to the library so that you can easily access them from the library. For example, add the folders where your photos are stored into the My Photos Library.

Apart from the default libraries, you can also add new libraries. Right click on the library and then select New-> Library.

After you have created the library, you need to add folders to which this library would be referring to. Now once you add folders to this library, you can also set the folder to which files are saved if any files are added directly to the library. For example, when we paste any file to the library where will it get saved as libraries refer to one or more folders located else where. For this you can set the default save location of library. Right click on the library and select properties. If you have multiple folders in the library, you can set the location where files are saved.

If you want to add a folder to any particular library, then you can do it the easy way by right clicking the folder and select Include in library, You can include pictures, music, Doc, Videos and also My photos.

Libraries are definitely a great feature in Windows 7. Libraries are where you go to manage your documents, music, pictures, and other files. You can browse your files the same way you would in a folder, or you can view your files arranged by properties like date, type, and author. You can delete or add new libraries and in case you delete the default library, then you can restore it by right clicking the library and then select Restore default libraries.

You can add folders from drives, external hard disks, networks connected and indexed, USB drives, but you cannot add a folder from removable media like DC/DVDs.

For screen shots please visit: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/05/30/windows...complete-guide/

Edited by Yateesh, 17 May 2010 - 02:15 AM.

#4 martine4161

martine4161

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

So basically Windows media player can't show the inner libraries but can show the root library. So you can just make the library of your name directly. You don't have to make sub-library for the music and all. Just make the root for the player.

#5 ciumes

ciumes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'm looking for an answer to this question as well.
Note that Johnz414's question is not about Windows 7 libraries, but WMP libraries.

Yateesh's reply was thorough and detailed, but did not answer the question.

The question is, how can one add libraries to WMP, or is one stuck with the pre-defined libraries?
For instance, if I want a library for Audio Books, in addition to Music, can I make one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users