Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

classic: dial-up number, username and password change.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Empty Agenda

Empty Agenda

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

Hi, I have a problem that many users had reported but they had a different hjt log than mine, so it wasn't that much help to read the suggested solutions in their posts.
The problem is that my dial-up number, username and passwords change everytime I try to connect to the internet. Also, when I open the inter explorer another one opens up with only an image in it. I'm thinking I might get used to it, but I've never lost a battle with a spyware (or virus) before, and I'm not planning to. Those bastards should never win!
Anyway, this is my hjt log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:16:29 PM, on 10/1/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysmon32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Salim-G\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe sysmon32.exe
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [usbn] C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbn.exe -go -c7 -w1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download web site by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlpage.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse...pDownloader.cab
O21 - SSODL: SystemCheck2 - {54645654-2225-4455-44A1-9F4543D34546} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vbsys2.dll

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

Ok, I see some infections here that really need to go.
But most important thing here is.. You don't have an antivirus or firewall running and your windows isn't up to date either. :thumbsup:
You don't have even ServicePack1 installed! Remember that your system is extremely vulnerable without the necessary security patches/updates, so malware can get installed automatically while surfing without any problems.
Please visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and update to Service Pack 1. When your system is clean afterwards, then update to SP2, because updating to SP2 CAN cause problems as long as you are infected.

I suggest to install Kaspersky.
Download it from here: http://www.kaspersky.com/trials?chapter=146481750
This is a trial version for 30 days. I'll give some tips afterwards what to do when the trial is expired.
Run the installer and reboot after installing.

After reboot, open Kaspersky and check Updates and download the updates.
Then perform a full scan.

When the scan is finished ( can take a while ), reboot once again.

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

After installing AAW, and before running the program.
Please be sure to update the reference file following the instructions here:
http://www.lavahelp.net/howto/updref/

Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan:

Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.

Click the 'Scanning' button.
Under Drives, Folders and Files, select 'Scan within Archives'.
Click 'Click here to select Drives + folders' and select your installed hard drives.

Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
Click the 'Advanced' button.
Under 'Log-file detail level', select all options.
Click the 'Tweaks' button.

Under 'Scanning Engine', select the following:
'Unload recognized processes during scanning.'
Under 'Cleaning Engine', select the following:
'Let Windows remove files in use after reboot.'
Click on 'Proceed' to save these Preferences.

Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT to allow it to finish.

Post a new hijackthislog, so we can work further from there.

I can't stress enough how important it is to follow above steps!!

Edited by miekiemoes, 01 October 2005 - 11:14 AM.

AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 Empty Agenda

Empty Agenda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:58 AM

Thanks a lot, I didn't know about these things. I have a slow internet connection :thumbsup: so it's going to take a while for me to download the sp1.
I'll post the hjt log after completing the steps you wrote. You guys are the best!

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:20 AM

Ok, maybe skip the step for SP1 for now and start with downloading and installing Kaspersky.
We will update when you are clean again. :thumbsup:
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 Empty Agenda

Empty Agenda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

Oh, now you're telling me :thumbsup: ! No it's alright, I've done it all! And I'm exhausted :flowers: ! The problem seem to have disappeared. I wish I had money to donate. I'd try to steal from my parents but I don't know where they keep it. No seriously, thanks a lot. Is there anything I can do to prevent future infections?
HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:40:22 PM, on 10/2/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Salim-G\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download web site by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlpage.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1128243831293
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse...pDownloader.cab
O21 - SSODL: SystemCheck2 - {54645654-2225-4455-44A1-9F4543D34546} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vbsys2.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: kavsvc - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kavsvc.exe

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:00 AM

Hello,

Yes, I knew kaspersky could deal with this one, that's why I asked you to install it.

And it seems like your problem is indeed solved.
Just some leftovers we need to check and fix in hijackthis:

* Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following:

O21 - SSODL: SystemCheck2 - {54645654-2225-4455-44A1-9F4543D34546} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vbsys2.dll (file missing)

* Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

No need to donate, my help is for free. :thumbsup:

Kaspersky is a free trial for 30 days. When that period is expired, you can choose to get the paid version or uninstall it and choose another free antivirus which is also great!

AVG, Bitdefender OR Avast are good FREE antivirus.
Never install more than one antivirusscanner on your system! Several together can give problems and decreases the reliability of it seriously!

To keep this clean in the future, I would suggest the following things:

Install Spywareblaster
SpywareBlaster doesn`t scan and clean for so-called spyware, but prevents it from being installed in the first place. It blocks the popular spyware ActiveX controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage.

Avoid illegal sites, because that's where most malware is present.

Let your antispywarescanner(s) scan frequently and don't forget to update before.

And I do suggest you perform an online virusscan once in a while. (Housecall and/or Bitdefender). Because what one virusscanner can't find another one maybe can.
Also make sure that your virusscanner, the one that is installed on your system is always up to date!

Make sure your windows has the latest updates: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

If you are having XP SP2, read here how to configure Security Features for Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...xp/iesecxp.mspx

More info on how to prevent malware you can also find here (By Tony Klein)

Happy surfing again! :flowers:

#7 Empty Agenda

Empty Agenda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:10 PM

I'll remeber that. Thaaaanks a lot!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:34 PM

Glad I could help you. :thumbsup:

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users