Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Elder scrolls IV:Oblivion: Knights of Nine, won't start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dovbaruch

dovbaruch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Background: Oblivion has an expansion package called knights of the nine. It comes in 8-9 pieces where you are able to installs part or all of the expansion. In addition there are also many mods to this game. There is, in the launcher screen an option to see which data files will be loaded and what is installed and select the one you want.

Problem: I have only the main data file, Oblivion.esm load and installed, and the Knights.esp load and installed. Both are selected also. The issue is that the quest does not seem to be loaded while the file is. I have looked in walkthrough and they tell me either to talk to the NCPs about rumors, or just go straight to the chapel in Anvil and talk to the prophet. Neither happen; no rumors that pertain to this quest, no prophet at anvil, even across the street.

I would also like to point out that i own legit copies of this game. The catch is i download/bought them as files and do not own a cd. I own just the files. This is the first time i bought a game like this. the site that i bought it from does not have any tech support for this type of "issue" - that was a direct quote from them.

In advance thank you for your help and time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

To get this straightened out, you did not install all the 8-9 parts of the expansion? Is Knights.esp a part of the expansion?

On an extended break.

#3 dovbaruch

dovbaruch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yes it is apart of the expansion.
I tried it both ways:
First I only installed Knights.esp. b/c I only wanted to play that expansion.
Second when first did not work It installed all nine (I went and check how many there were) Expansions and it still did not work
Third i uninstalled all eight (the ones i did not want) leaving over only knights.esp, and it did not work

Questions
1) i saw somewhere that it worked for some one who changed the file from .esp to .esm (the format of the main Oblivion file) will this screw up the game, does it make sense for it to work?
2) also a lot of ppl seem to also have another expansion called Shivering Isle installed do i need to also install the shivering isle expansion to use Knights of nine?

Dovbaruch

Edited by dovbaruch, 16 May 2010 - 11:40 PM.

#4 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:04 AM

Okay, first I'd like to make sure you're doing this right. Here's a walkthrough about the Knights quest. Are you sure that you're going to the right place?

Secondly, have you tried: Installing the main file first, then installing all nine?

Isn't the Shivering Isle expansion part of the above 9?

And thirdly, you can try changing the extension after installing the main file. If it doesn't work it will refuse to install, and you can change the extension back.

Could someone please confirm the last sentence above. Thanks.

On an extended break.

#5 dovbaruch

dovbaruch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:11 AM

As stated in the question i used a walk through to spoon feed how to start out the quest. no rumors, no prophet.

As to shivering isle being a apart of the expansion: it is not part of the knights expansion, it is another expansion in it's own right.

I tried to install all nine before, but not right after installing the main, the main was installed a week before. This I'm going to try now.
I tired to change he extension of knight.esp to knights.esm but no difference the quest does not start.

Am i correct in assuming it is properly installed? i see the data file in the correct locations?

Question: if it is not (or for that matter just is) properly installed i can use command console to force it to start, but I'm afraid i will be dong that for every step of every quest (no fun, waste of my money) but maybe it will get the ball rolling. any ideas?

Dovbaruch

ok, I uninstalled <b>everything</b>. and reinstalled everything nothing has change.
I waited 24 game hour and nothing has changed. no rumor, no prophet.

Edited by dovbaruch, 17 May 2010 - 08:06 AM.

#6 dovbaruch

dovbaruch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

Well, I figured it out:

I Email Bethesda with my issue and they told me that i need a patch for teh version i bought an Obliviopatch1.1 or soemthing like that.

I updated it and got teh expansion to work

thank you for your help if u want the exact patch i will post it later.

#7 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

You bought another patch to make it work? That's not fair, really.

On an extended break.

#8 dovbaruch

dovbaruch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

No no

But i can see how u understood that from what i typed.
I bought a version of Oblivion that needed a patch to use knights.esp
The patch was a free download from a mod website they sent me a link for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users