Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files on Ext HD gone....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 masaro

masaro

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi,

I was having my laptop connected to my external HD but then I had some issue with my laptop as it crashed...right before it got shut down I got this error message with an error on data on my ext HD, I know this is not good news (this is the 2nd time it happened to me).

I do have most of the files backed up but I know there should be a way for me to retrieve the data that was on....however I forgot how I manage to get my data back last time.

Currently when I plug this ext HD to my desktop, I still see the folders but most of them are empty.

Any help would be much appreciated!

masaro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Try this or this if you're willing to pay for the extra tech support.

EDIT: This sounds good too. Using the free version you can preview what data you're going to recover, and you pay to get the data. That way you can be assured you're going to get the data instead of buying software and discovering that it doesn't work.
Also, I know no way of recovering these files without using some software.

Edited by NightWarlock, 16 May 2010 - 02:38 PM.

On an extended break.

#3 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the help NightWarlock.....but since I do have alot of the files backed up here and there, I decided to reformat it and start all over again...

However here's where the serious problem had started.

First off the Ext HD I'm using is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb
I have 2 partitions there and had been using it for over 1 yr.

I decided to re-format it in My Computer, started fine and finished without a glitch but then when I tried to backup my files from desktop onto that ext HD it always ended up having an error of even if the files go through when I decided to access those files on a different computer, a pop up window from the bottom (where safely remove USB option is) always say something is major wrong with the drive....I can't quite recall if file it was file corruption or something else.

I then decided to re-format it again and gone through the same steps and same result....back and forth probably over 5-6 times. Then I decided to re-format it on a different computer (my laptop), but the ext HD did not show up both in My Computer & Disk Management. I have done my research and gone through TeskDisk (ext HD did not show), EASEUS Partition Master (it always stop half way with an error and the program shuts down), HD Tune pro......nothing works. HOWEVER, after running Partition Master now the HD is showing up in Disk Management occasionally, but I cannot re-format it or do anything with it....

I currently cannot afford to go and purchase another ext HD and I wish to see if I can still salvage this by just doing a clean format. Your help is much appreciated!!

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

You should contact Seagate. When those drives were first introduced there was some faulty microcode in the firmware that would cause the drives to fail. Your drive may be one of the ones with that faulty microcode. If so, Seagate should replace it for you.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

A clean format...is no solution for a hard drive which is bad, it is effective if it's a file system which is damaged.

I myself would use recovery software to empty the drive, then remove it from the external enclosure (since the enclosure is just one more possible point of failure) and attach it directly to a system.

If the problems continiue, I would then run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long test) on the drive itself (sans enclosure).

Louis

#6 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Is there any diagnostic test I can run with the HD in external casing? I don't have access to hook it up to a system right now...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

SeaTools Diagnostic Downloads

You have to read the instructions for each.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users