Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with getting a new Internet Service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blank.black

blank.black

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:12 AM

Hello,

I currently have Dial-Up internet at my place of residence (country side/remote location) and I need something faster.

After looking around, the best thing I came up with was internet via Satellite service but it is very expensive when considering download allowances etc.

What other options do I have? Is there anything else worth investing time and money into?

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hey I just said hello in the intro section to ya. :flowers: but again :thumbsup: to BC

So, wow yes albeit that satellite would be a step up for you and I know how expensive it is I used to travel with my grandparents as they have an RV and they had it for a while, anyway you could look into cellular internet from a cell company where exactly do you live? IE country/state province?

EDIT: For Spelling. :trumpet:

Edited by computerxpds, 16 May 2010 - 11:40 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Wizho

Wizho

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Why satellite?
Thoug it might be a reasonable option for places with no phone or cable access. Is this your case?
There's also WiMax, it's a microwave/RF technology, it delivers voice and data wirelessly directly to your home, way better and cheaper than satellite, but not available in some states.

Here in Mexico cell phone companies also bring internet access, nice DL speed (about 3Mb) and an almost 100% coverge in all the country.

Right now I have both DSL and Cable, DSL sucks for me as I'm very far from the telephone central, that's one of the cons of DSL teechnology, as for cable, it has excellent response times which makes it an excellent option for online gaming.

#4 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hey I just said hello in the intro section to ya. :trumpet: but again :thumbsup: to BC

So, wow yes albeit that satellite would be a step up for you and I know how expensive it is I used to travel with my grandparents as they have an RV and they had it for a while, anyway you could look into cellular internet from a cell company where exactly do you live? IE country/state province?

EDIT: For Spelling. :inlove:

Thank you for the welcome msg.

I currently live in the state of Texas, USA...within the jurisdiction of Burnet county.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by cellular internet? If you mean accessing the internet on a cell phone, then I think those plans are expensive as well...unless you know of something cheap.
If you mean connecting my cell phone to my computer in order to access internet on the computer, then I dont really know how that works :flowers:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Do you have cable? Or do you have DSL availability?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Why satellite?
Thoug it might be a reasonable option for places with no phone or cable access. Is this your case?
There's also WiMax, it's a microwave/RF technology, it delivers voice and data wirelessly directly to your home, way better and cheaper than satellite, but not available in some states.

Here in Mexico cell phone companies also bring internet access, nice DL speed (about 3Mb) and an almost 100% coverge in all the country.

Right now I have both DSL and Cable, DSL sucks for me as I'm very far from the telephone central, that's one of the cons of DSL teechnology, as for cable, it has excellent response times which makes it an excellent option for online gaming.

Thanks for your response Wizho.
I asked around and looked over the internet as well but was unable to find any DSL/Cable providers. I do have Dish Network TV tho but when I talked to them about internet, they referred me to getting Earthlink Dialup and thats what I got right now.

As for WiMax I am not sure how or where I can get that from?

#7 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Do you have cable? Or do you have DSL availability?

No I dont think I do, coz I have Dish Network TV and they suggested Earthlink Dialup which is what I have right now. My phone line is provided by Verizon and they suggested I get Mobile Broadband with a Verizon Wireless USB modem, PC card or ExpressCard that goes for about $60/month for 5GB download allowance, but my two bills on Dialup and Phone line turns out to be much cheaper than the Verizon Mobile Broadband deal. I mean I dont think I will get DSL/Cable at Dialup prices but at least I wish they wouldnt have download limits and stuff like that

Edited by blank.black, 16 May 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

From past experience, you'll find dial up more reliable then Hughesnet. Constant INTENTIONAL(not counting going over their "FAP") slow downs(atleast when I had them). How do I know it was intentional? Because if you google you'll find them still doing it to some people where EXACTLY at 4PM people will drop from 1.4-1.6mbps down to dial up speeds(okay, about 200kbps but added with 1k latency it feels like dialup).

Check out cell coverage. Chances are if you can use your cell there, you can get internet. Even if its stuck on a 200-400kbps network, still beats dialup and satellite.

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Don't know if this is of any use or not. Or you may have already checked it out: Texas Wireless Internet: http://www.txwinet.com

Make sure to look at their Rates page: http://www.txwinet.com/service_rates.php which has a map of covered areas and an itemized list of cost for installation.

I'm not pushing this outfit, never done business with them. Just stumbled across it. Might be worth looking into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users