Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth it to dual boot XP 32/64 bit with windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:45 AM

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit currently on my laptop, and have had it for months. i am thinking if i should create another partition (which will give me 3 along with the W7 and Data partition) with XP to just have it there in case of anything

is this a smart idea? and if so, should i just install the normal 32 bit XP or go for the 64 bit?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:07 AM

just have it there in case of anything

I can not think of any reason for doing this - My take on this is you are making it too cluttered -
If you have any decent / worthwhile reason then ....... but I would not bother -

Regards - :thumbsup:

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

I bought a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit some months ago, and one of the first things that I did was set up a dual-boot with an OEM XP Professional 32-bit that I found online for $45. I did this mainly because I wanted to run a couple of legacy apps (that won't work in Win 7), but also because I thought it would be a really good way to learn more about computing. And I've surely learned a bunch of new tricks. It hasn't all been sunshine, but having to again tweak a fresh install of XP to my liking helped to reinforce some knowledge that I'd gained with my first laptop while tweaking the new Win 7 to my liking has also been educational. Another thought: I travel worldwide for work, and a couple of places with WiFi where I've stayed I could only get online with the XP. I don't know why, but that was my experience. I manage my dual-boot with GAG Boot Manager. It's freeware, simple to use, and it keeps the 2 partitions fully independent with respect to boot files, which is handy for reinstalling a backup image of either partition if it comes to that. Anyway, just my two cent's worth.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

I have a dual-boot (XP and Win 7) on one of my 4 systems (XP on one, Win 7 on the others)...only because I wanted one system with the capability to reflect both O/Ses for the sake of my forum participation.

As mentioned...if you have no real reason to do a dual-boot...why bother?

9 years of experience with XP...should be enough experimentation background for anyone, I'd much rather learn how Win 7 quirks and operational aspects will impact users of today and the future.

Louis

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

With me I run windows 7 on my desktop and XP on my hp laptop, I do that for more a reference to study more on, Also although i have run 7 on it, it runs a little better with XP :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users