Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alureon.c Infection / System Idle Process eating 99% of CPU

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmjohnson85

jmjohnson85

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

I have been running MSSE as my anti-virus. Earlier it popped up saying it detected Alureon.C and needed to reboot to finish removing it. After rebooting I got a message like "LSASS.exe could not find device" or something similiar (sorry I should have made not of the exact message). I got the same message when starting in Safe Mode. After that I booted a mini Windows XP PE disc and ran ERD System Restore and went back to a restore point created yesterday. Then I was able to boot into windows no problem, but I now have a Windows Security Alert saying that I do not have Anti-Virus software installed. Also both processes for MSSE are gone - MsMpEng.exe and msseces.exe, and I have a System Idle Process that is constantly at 99% of the CPU.

I followed the stickied prep guide and steps 1-7 all went fine, but I was unable to produce a GMER log. All 3 times I ran GMER my system would just randomly reboot during the scan. I did not try GMER from Safe Mode yet because I am unsure if that could be any help. DDS log:

DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01) - NTFSx86
Run by Dan at 23:23:23.64 on Sat 05/15/2010
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_20

============== Running Processes ===============

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection: {53707962-6f74-2d53-2644-206d7942484f} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [WMPNSCFG] c:\program files\windows media player\WMPNSCFG.exe
mRun: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
mRun: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
mRun: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
mRun: [UPSMON] c:\program files\sentinel web\Sentinel.exe
mRun: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
mRun: [UnlockerAssistant] "c:\program files\unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe" -H
DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} - hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/E/5/6/E5611B10-0D6D-4117-8430-A67417AA88CD/LegitCheckControl.cab
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\dan~1.ho~\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\cwuu3evm.default\
FF - component: c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\linkfilter@kaspersky.ru\components\KavLinkFilter.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\google\google earth\plugin\npgeplugin.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\google\update\1.2.183.23\npGoogleOneClick8.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\mozilla firefox\plugins\npdeployJava1.dll
FF - HiddenExtension: Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant: {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v3.5\windows presentation foundation\dotnetassistantextension\
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0015-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

---- FIREFOX POLICIES ----
FF - user.js: network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server - 4
FF - user.js: nglayout.initialpaint.delay - 600
FF - user.js: content.notify.interval - 600000
FF - user.js: content.max.tokenizing.time - 1800000
FF - user.js: content.switch.threshold - 600000
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl3.rsa_seed_sha", true);

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2010-05-16 04:16:55 0 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\dan.home\defogger_reenable
2010-05-16 03:34:36 0 d-----w- C:\!KillBox
2010-05-15 13:04:50 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Alwil Software
2010-05-15 12:34:29 0 d-----w- c:\program files\Unlocker
2010-05-15 12:21:32 0 d-sh--w- c:\documents and settings\dan.home\PrivacIE
2010-05-15 11:07:22 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\dan~1.ho~\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2010-05-15 11:06:47 38224 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
2010-05-15 11:06:41 20952 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
2010-05-15 11:06:39 0 d-----w- c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2010-05-15 10:52:30 77312 ----a-w- c:\windows\MBR.exe
2010-05-15 10:52:30 256512 ----a-w- c:\windows\PEV.exe
2010-05-15 08:42:27 0 d-sha-r- C:\cmdcons
2010-05-15 08:19:03 0 d-sh--w- c:\documents and settings\dan.home\IETldCache
2010-05-15 07:23:22 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2010-05-06 02:39:03 0 d-----w- c:\windows\system32\NtmsData
2010-05-06 00:31:23 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\dan~1.ho~\applic~1\abgx360
2010-05-04 00:34:30 0 d-----w- c:\program files\ScriptCryptor
2010-05-03 22:13:22 664 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\d3d9caps.dat
2010-05-03 20:53:26 0 d-----w- c:\program files\Windows Resource Kits
2010-04-25 21:53:58 323624 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\wiaaut.dll

==================== Find3M ====================

2010-05-06 15:36:38 221568 ------w- c:\windows\system32\MpSigStub.exe
2010-04-12 22:29:19 411368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll
2010-03-10 06:15:52 420352 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll
2010-03-08 02:50:48 796672 ----a-w- c:\windows\GPInstall.exe
2010-02-25 06:24:37 916480 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2010-02-16 14:08:49 2146304 ------w- c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
2010-02-16 13:25:04 2024448 ------w- c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
2008-08-24 01:32:09 32768 --sha-w- c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\history\history.ie5\mshist012008082320080824\index.dat

============= FINISH: 23:24:30.56 ===============

Edit:
Was able to run GMER by unchecking DEVICES. Will attach ark.txt as well.

Attached Files

Edited by jmjohnson85, 16 May 2010 - 03:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hello, and welcome.gif to the Malware Removal forum! My online alias is Blade Zephon, or Blade for short, and I will be assisting you with your malware issues!

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. By doing this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

Before we begin cleaning your machine, I'd like to lay out some guidelines for us to follow while we are working together.
  • I will be assisting you with your malware issues. This may or may not resolve other problems you are having with your computer. If you are still having problems after your machine has been determined clean, I will be glad to direct you to the proper forum for assistance.
  • Even if things appear better, that does not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions until I give you the all clean. Absence of symptoms does not mean that all the malware has been removed. If a piece of the infection is left, it can regenerate and reinfect your machine.
  • Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • I ask that you please refrain from running tools other than those I suggest to you while I am cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. If you act independently it will cause changes to your system that I will not be aware of, which will make the process of cleaning the machine a much slower and more difficult process. Additionally, some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you are unsure or confused about any instructions I give you, you should ask me to clarify before doing anything. Additionally, if you run into any problems while carrying out instructions, you should STOP and reply back here explaining what happened.
  • After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed. If you need additional time, that is perfectly alright; you just need to let us know beforehand. smile.gif

Please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Download Combofix from any of the links below but rename it to renamed.exe before saving it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
  • VERY IMPORTANT: Disable all running antivirus, antimalware and firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix. Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. NOTE: This list is not all-inclusive. If yours is not listed and you do not know how to disable it, please ask.
  • Double click on renamed.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it will produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix on your own.
This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.
ComboFix SHOULD NOT be used unless requested by a forum helper

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
ComboFix Log

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 jmjohnson85

jmjohnson85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY JUST SKIP DOWN TO THE BOLD SECTION UNLESS YOU THINK THIS SOUNDS IMPORTANT

Alright. Before checking my email I was about to login and close this thread, but after reading your reply I realized that I should at least bring you up to speed and see if you have any recommendations for me.

Since posting I have had many many more problems and I have made just as many attempted corrections.
After reading some of the other recent posts I was doubtful that I would get help this quick...

First I decided that I better get some sort of anti-virus installed right away since MSSE disappeared, and because I desperately need to use my computer.

Tried Add/Remove programs just to make sure MSSE was fully gone.. Got error code 08004FF01.
Tried re-installing MSSE, same error code.

Tried installing Avast, then Anti-Vir - both gave similar errors. So I figure the virus is blocking me from installing these programs.

Ran ComboFix (no script, installed recovery console) I had saved the log at that time. Ran MBAM scan - clean. Ran Kaspersky online scanner - clean.

Still could not get any Anti-Virus installed.

Made ghost backup onto another hard drive.

Decided that major portions of windows had been damaged, and MSSE had probably been hijacked before it disappeared.
Figured I would probably end up having to reformat, but thought I should at least exhaust all of my ideas first (hence the ghost backup).

Ran Windows Repair from slipstreamed SP3 disc, with little optimism.
Got errors while installing WMI, no biggie I can install that later.
Repair finishes, hangs on first boot.

Restart, boots into windows quite quickly. Everything appears good, system stable and fast. All programs intact, back to Internet Explorer 7... Start Windows Update first thing just in case it breaks it... All good.

Attempt to install Anti-Virus ... Success! Was able to load Anti-Vir no problem, MBAM still functioning properly.

Decided to run full scan from both Anti-Vir and MBAM just to be safe..... BSOD - win32k.sys BF85D7E7 etc..

Shutdown, restart - chkdsk wants to run...

BSOD again, this time too fast to get the code.

Shutdown, restart... Blank screen, f---! Let it chill for a bit...

Still nothing, no beep, nothing. Fine, open her up pull the ram - long beep.

Reset cmos, still nothing.

Pull expansion Video Card and try onboard instead. Still nothing.

Unplug everything but the CPU and still only long beep, but no video. Never any video initialization that whole time after the 2nd BSOD.

Put it all back together about to call it a night, figure I might as well push the stupid button one more time, but am quite sure the motherboard or maybe power supply is bad.

Damn thing starts right up and goes back into windows...

Since then I have been able to run a full scan with SUPERAntiSpyware, and quick scans in both MBAM and Anti-Vir with no crashes and everything is clean.

And since "I will be assisting you with your malware issues." that is probably all you really needed to know.

I am 99% sure there is a hardware problem here and I am going to get my brothers power supply tester first thing tomorrow, chances are my problems a not over yet. However I just finished making a fresh ghost backup so when this thing does die I will probably be fine.

Any recommendations? My only question now is, what are some good tools for cleaning up windows, specifically the registry, checking services, verifying packages and stuff like that?

Edit:
Oh yeah, I realized almost immediately after posting that 99% System Idle Process is actually a good thing smile.gif

Edited by jmjohnson85, 18 May 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:47 AM

Hello jmjohnson85.

Glad to see that, malware-wise, things are looking better for you. Let's address things step by step here.

First, regarding ComboFix:

Please note: ComboFix (CF for short) is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. When CF is run without trained assistance, it can no longer be considered a "safe" tool. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

You may find this topic informative - ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Since you already ran the tool, I need to see the log it created to be sure that everything was removed. Please locate this file C:\Combofix.txt and include its contents in your next reply.

Second, regarding your possible hardware issues, you may wish to post in our Internal Hardware Forum if you are unable to determine the cause. Please hold off on posting there until we're done here though. This will help to avoid any confusion. smile.gif

Any recommendations? My only question now is, what are some good tools for cleaning up windows, specifically the registry, checking services, verifying packages and stuff like that?

Regarding the registry:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

That being said, I can recommend an excellent temp file cleaner. Users who have not routinely cleaned out their temporary files (which is common) often notice a marked improvement after doing so. Removing temporary files should become a regular maintenance process (once about every 6 mos or so).

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
(TFC only cleans temp folders. It will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies).
Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job.
Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

NOTE:
It's normal after running TFC that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

As far as other suggestions go. . . I have a few but will save those for another post so as not to overwhelm you smile.gif

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
ComboFix Log

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 jmjohnson85

jmjohnson85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(jmjohnson85 @ May 18 2010, 12:29 AM) View Post
I had saved the log at that time.

What I meant here is that I have since deleted ComboFix.txt... Sorry, so much on my system has changed since running it. But I probably should have kept it anyway.

Thanks for explaining about ComboFix and the Registry, I promise I will not mess with those again unless you tell me to.

Since I don't have the log, is there anything else I should do?

Edit:
sorry to keep editing, I had already heard of TFC and used that after running Windows Update after the repair.

Edited by jmjohnson85, 18 May 2010 - 12:56 AM.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hello jmjohnson85

Well. . . let's clean up the mess that ComboFix left behind. . . then I'll give a few more suggestions and you should be good to go.
  • Click on Start>Run
  • Now type combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Notice the space between the "x" and "/".
  • You will then recieve a message letting you know that Combofix was uninstalled Successfully.
This will remove files/folders assoicated with combofix and uninstall it.

If you disabled emulation drivers earlier, you can re-enable them now if you wish:

To re-enable your Emulation drivers, double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Re-enable button to re-enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_enable which will appear on your desktop.

Your Emulation drivers are now re-enabled.

I highly recommend that you read through the below set of very helpful suggestions and implement them; they will help protect you from reinfection
I recommend you regularly visit the Windows Update Site!
  • Lots of Hacking/Trojans use the methods found (plugged by the updates) that have not been stopped by people not updating.
  • By updating your machine, you have one less headache!
  • Update ALL Critical updates and any other Windows updates for services/programs that you use.
  • If you wish, you can also use automatic updates. This is a good thing to have if you want to be up-to-date all the time, but can also be a bit of an annoyance due to its handling and the sizes of the updates. If you wish to turn on automatic updates then you will find here is a nice little article about turning on automatic updates.
  • Note that it will download them for you, but you still have to actually click install.
  • If you do not want to have automatic updates turned on, or are on dial-up, you can always download updates seperately at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

For a nice list of freeware programs in all categories, please have a look at this thread with freeware products that are regarded as useful by the users of this forum: Commonly Used Freeware Replacements.

Another recommendation, is to download HostsMan. It safeguards you with a regularly updated Hosts-file that blocks dangerous sites from opening. This adds another bit of safety while surfing the Internet. For installlation and setting up, follow these steps:
  1. Double-click the Downloaded installer and install the tool to a location of your choice
  2. Via the Startmenu, navigate to HostsMan and run the program.
    1. Click "Hosts" in the menu
    2. Click "Manage Updates" in the submenu
    3. Out of the three, select at least one of them (I have MVPS Host as my main one)
    4. Click "Add Update." After that you will only need to click on the following button to retrieve updates:
  3. Click the X to exit the program.
Finally, and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT step, click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#7 jmjohnson85

jmjohnson85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

That's a great list of suggestions (especially that list of freeware apps, wow). Also, I just want to says thanks - the service that you guys provide here is absolutely phenomenal. Keep up the good work!

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. smile.gif

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.
Please include the address of this thread in your request.
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please start a new topic.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users