Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address trouble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boncon

boncon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hi all,

Feel free to redirect me if this is not the right place to start. I am about ready to toss everything (and it is all new)

Here is the info:

System components: MSI U123 Netbook -wireless ready- purchased in Nov '09
HPC photosmart All in One Wireless - new in Dec '09
Cisco Valet router

Op system Win XP

IP Comcast

In January, I had the netbook and printer working beautifully. At some point I began having connection problems. After hours of time with MSI, Comcast and Linksys tecs, I still can't get stay connected to the internet for longer than a half hour if that. Finally, a friend said that it sounded like a router - my previous Linksys was 4 years old, so 3 weeks ago, I bought the Cisco.

I have installed and uninstalled this stuff at least 4 times and initially thought the new router did the trick. I get excellent connection but cannot get past an IP address of 192.whatever.

Everything works using cables: that is how I am working right now. Also, I have run virus and spyware sacns that always come up clean. But I live in a small space in an old apartment where the electric outlets are on one side of the room and the cable on the other, so I trip on cords all day if I can't work wireless.

Thank you in advance. I feel so close to getting this working.

Boncon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

I'm sorry, I missed a question in there.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

It sounds like you want to connect wirelessly because you don't want the cords on the floor. So, what is the make and model of your router and wireless card? Type the following in without the quotes when you are trying to connect wirelessly and paste the results back here, "ipconfig /all".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users