Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

processor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

i have a question is a 2.4 ghz quad core better than a 2.6 dual core?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

it depends on what applications you want to run and if you want/ do a lot of multi tasking, a quad core is good for games and apps that have the multi thread support. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

This depends on the processor type and what you mean by better. Going by sheer numbers, a 2.4 Ghz. quad is capable of delivering superior performance over a dual core IF the application can harness three or more cores. If it can only use one or two cores, then the clock speed plays a bigger role and the 2.6 GHz. will be faster. On the hardware level, some processors allow for easy overclocking and hyperthreading. A 2.4 GHz. quad core with the multiplier unlocked could easily outperform a 2.6 GHz. CPU in an application that uses only one or two cores. Architecture differences may also affect performance within a given line of CPU's.

3939.png

#4 FlaHillbilly

FlaHillbilly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

Depends, as has been said, on your application and on the specific processors. Intel has dual core processors against which they apply what they call "hyper-threading" which is supposed to make the dual core sort of perform like a quad core. Have tried to find somewhere where the performance of these are compared against that of a quad core.

I have had the need recently to try to resolve this question for myself. My Dell computer with an AMD 2.3 GHz quad processor (as best I can remember the specs) ceased to work and Dell sent me as a replacement a machine with an Intel 3.2 GHz hyper-threaded, dual core (HTDC), claiming it is equivalent or better. Their representative said that the dual core should perform like a quad core because of the hyper threading. I was dubious and ran a series of self-developed benchmarks. These showed unequivocally that there was a significant "hit" in performance when multiple, cloned processes tried to run on the same core.

For most standard applications the 3.2 HTDC seems to be as fast or faster. However, when I try to run an "application" that consists of a large number of identical, but independent, processes, the HTDC seems to take a hit.

Without the speed difference and the hyper-threading, the dual core would certainly have performed worse than the dual core.

Hope this helps you consider the choices.

#5 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

thanks for all the feed back....mostly i would be playing games....and the prossesors in question are both intel and made within the last 3 years......

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

If that is the case, it depends. Not all games can use all four cores, but some do. Extremely old games cannot use two. It just depends on the games you are going to be playing.

3939.png

#7 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

mostly newer ones...the oldest one would be half life....the newest probably being crysis or assassins creed 2....and when it comes out crysis 2.....

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:12 AM

Crysis can use all four cores, to an extent, as does Assassin's Creed 2 and I would imagine Crysis 2 can as well.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users