Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heavy Network Load = Connection Lost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to help. So let's get right into it...

I recently reformatted my PC to clean it up, and now I'm having an issue with my Dynex Wireless USB G network adapter. Anytime I hit a heavy network load, my connection drops. It was a lot worse, but in the passed few days, I somehow got it to ease up. I could simply jump webpages before they were done loading and it would drop.

With sites like youtube, the videos don't load as fast as they use to, and picture intensive websites cause the connection drop. And being one who likes to frequent these sites....PrObLeM. The router is 1 room away, wired to my aunt's PC. I was having small issues prior to the reformat, but not on this scale. Prior issue was related to downloading, especially torrent-wise. If I were downloading with a torrent and browsed online, I'd lose a connection. Or if I was downloading 2 torrents, I'd lose connection. Now the problem has spread to picture intensive websites and streaming video.

Dynex Wireless USB G network adapter
Linksys WRT54G Router
Windows XP Home
Firefox browser

Switching channels doesn't work, SSID doesn't match a neighbors, router firmware is up-to-date. Not sure what else you may need to know. Let me know and I'll get back to you within a day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hi,

Ok so it sounds like your adapter may be going, but first have you tried to reinstall the drivers for it?

Edit: also check for updates for the driver. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 15 May 2010 - 08:39 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Yes I have. I've done it a few times actually, Uninstall - Restart - Install - Restart , rinse and repeat. Just went to Dynex's website and downloaded the driver they had listed. That didn't seem to do it either =/

-- Edit: And I don't think that it would be going bad, i was able to view these sites with ease prior to the reformat, so I don't know. I'm thinking the last time I reformatted I had this issue, but for the life of me I can't remember the fix...

Edited by DarkLiter, 15 May 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

Sounds like a bad device. Perhaps its time to get a new one?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well, since the general consensus between the 2 people that helped is 'bad device', I caved in and bought a new adapter. Should be here in a few days, guess we'll see if that was the problem or not, when it gets here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users