Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My network card has disappeared from Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JimT343

JimT343

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hi-

It all started with a malware infection...ExtremeBoy helped me get rid of the TDL3 rootkit my computer was infected with, but somewhere during the process I could no longer access the internet (I have Qwest DSL; the modem connects to my PC via an ethernet cable). I tried reinstalling my modem software but my computer would not recognize the modem. I opened Device Manager and noted that my network adapter card (I say card, but it is built into my motherboard - it's just habit) no longer appears in the "Network Adapters" list. I know it was there before, as I saw it when looking at device manager for other items of hardware. (I built this computer myself about 5 years ago). I tried reinstalling the drivers but Windows can't find the network card and doesn't recognize it when I try to reinstall the adapter driver manually.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I did try the modem with a different computer, and the ethernet connection worked fine between that computer and the modem, so I'm certain the problem is the PC and not the modem.

Fortunately, the modem also has a USB connection, so I am now able to connect to the internet, although the connection is not optimal (the modem documentation says not to use the USB connection unless there is no ethernet connection available). Now I have no open USB ports. I'd like to get my network card back.

During the time I was dealing with the malware, I installed an older hard drive so I could at least use my PC without the problems the rootkit was causing. I noticed that my ethernet card didn't work with that hard drive, either, so it may be a hardware problem - how can I tell for sure?

I've tried going into Safe Mode, the ethernet card still doesn't show up. I tried uninstalling everything under "network adapters" in Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall them. No luck. Most of what was in Device Manager I was unable to uninstall, even in Safe Mode - I got an error message that Windows may need the device to boot up.

I also tried going into "Setup" during boottup to disable and re-enable the ethernet card, but I don't see it anywhere in any of the BIOS settings.

I'm running Windows XP SP 3 on a 3GHz P4 processor with 1 GB RAM.

Any help you could give would be most appreciated.

Edited by JimT343, 15 May 2010 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

is the Ethernet on-board or is it a PCI card? :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

If you have a modem that provides connectivity via USB...then you probably need to uninstall the USB drivers for that device...before trying to make an ethernet connection between NIC and modem.

On some DSL modems, with dual capability (USB, ethernet), the USB drivers are only installed when the ethernet drivers are not...sometimes there can be conflicts between the two (which is why manufacturers advise removing the ethernet NIC drivers when making a USB connection.

You could try to Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

Then attempt to install the ethernet drivers for the NIC.

Louis

#4 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

is the Ethernet on-board or is it a PCI card? :thumbsup:

It's built into the motherboard.

You could try to Remove Unused Drivers and Devices

I tried that, and I disconnected the USB cable so they wouldn't reinstall, but Windows still doesn't recognize the ethernet card. When I went into Device Manager the "Network adapters" group didn't show up at all, until I reinstalled the USB drivers for the modem. Also, I didn't install the USB drivers for the modem until the ethernet connection stopped working.

I think I have an old PCI 10/100 ethernet card laying around somewhere; if I can find it I'll try installing it, but it really bugs me that the on-board ethernet card is not working - if it is a hardware issue, the motherboard itself may be going bad.

Jim

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I want to see if I can assist you with your hardware problem, as I have a lot of back-ground with hardware and electronics.

Since you posted that your hardware is intergrated into the motherboard, we need to know what motherboard you have, make and model number.

Once you supply that information, I can successfully research your NIC and its driver software.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi MrBruce,

My motherboard is an ECS P4M800Pro-M V2.0.

#7 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Not to seem impatient, but is anyone able to help me with this?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

HI, sorry for the delay, I guess your thread got pushed to the next page and I over-looked it, thanks for posting back so it it is in the spot light again. :thumbsup:

With that being said, thanks for replying with the information I asked you for earlier. :flowers:

I will be doing some research on your issue and will reply back with a possible solution asap.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

With my first reply I offer you a PDF version of your owners manual in case you need acess to it.

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport...800Pro-M_uk.pdf

Be back shortly after I am done with doing my research.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

Okay I have come up with something for you to try.

I have a copy of your motherboard manual on my computer which I am referring to.

Here is what you need to do.

Boot up your computer.

During the POST (Boot-up), screen press and hold down the Delete key, this should boot you to your BIOS setup utility.

On the main screen look for Features setup in the menu.

High-lite this and press Enter.

Scroll down until you have OnBoard LAN High-lited.

It should say the following:

Onboard LAN (Enabled)
Use this item to enable or disable the onboard LAN.

Once this feature is Enabled, press the Esc or Escape key on the keyboard.

Next press F10 this will prompt you with the following: Save changes to CMOS and Exit? (Please note: the wording might be slightly different, but it means the same thing)

Please type Y which stands for yes, you do want to save the changes and exit the utility.

This will cause your computer to reboot and boot from the hard drive and to your operating system.

Windows might say New hardware found in the notification area and it is installing drivers for this device.. If this happens and it fails to find the correct drivers, you will need your motherboard's utility cdrom and search for the proper drivers or the .inf file for your on-board LAN. The .inf file is an information file that Windows adds to its system folder (also called the system information data base) and gives instructions to Windows on how to properly install the device and work with it.

Make sure the Ethernet cable is plugged into the RJ-45 LAN jack on the back of your computer!

Try using your on-board LAN again which is your on-board Ethernet adapter.

Below is information regarding your on-board LAN copied and pasted from the owners manual.

Supports 10 Mb/s and 100 Mb/s N-way Auto-negotiation operation
Supports Wake-on-LAN function and remote wake-up
Half/Full Duplex capability
Onboard LAN (Optional)
The onboard LAN controller provides either of the following features:
Integrated 10/100/1000 transceiver
Supports PCI rev.2.3,32-bit,33/66 MHz
Crossover Detection & Auto-Correction
Wake-on-LAN and remote wake-up support

Good luck and please post back with your results. :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 May 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#11 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Hi MrBruce,

I tried accessing the BIOS and going to "Features Setup". There is no "Onboard LAN" or anything like it in there. I went through all of the setup categories ("Basic CMOS setup", "Advanced setup", etc.) one by one and I don't see anything resembling "Onboard LAN". Nothing with "Ethernet", "Network", "NIC", "LAN", etc. in it.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hi MrBruce,

I tried accessing the BIOS and going to "Features Setup". There is no "Onboard LAN" or anything like it in there. I went through all of the setup categories ("Basic CMOS setup", "Advanced setup", etc.) one by one and I don't see anything resembling "Onboard LAN". Nothing with "Ethernet", "Network", "NIC", "LAN", etc. in it.

Can you please view that PDF file I posted the link to above and look for page 32 where it is titled Features setup?

It should be the 10th one down the list just below where it says MODEM DEVICE.

#13 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:51 AM

I looked at the PDF file before I tried going into the BIOS. As I said, the item "Onboard LAN" is not there. When I go into "Features Setup" in the BIOS, the item right below "Modem Device" is "Onboard USB Function". Everything else that the PDF manual says should be there, is there.

I'm attempting to attach a photo to this post; it's a picture of the BIOS "Features Setup" screen that I took with my camera phone, so it's not a very good picture, but you should be able to see that the "Onboard LAN" does not appear.

Attached File  Image187.jpg   64.94KB   12 downloads

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:15 AM

Your image is fine I see what you are saying, it is missing entirely from the BIOS utility.

The manual lists the RJ-45 LAN port as being an optional feature, does your motherboard have this LAN port on the computers back near the USB ports?

#15 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Yes, my computer does have the built-in Ethernet port, and I was using it to connect to the internet up until last month when it quit working.

Should I try flashing the BIOS to see if that would get it back? Is it possible that the rootkit infection could have damaged the BIOS? Or is there a way to tell if the motherboard (or at least this part of it) is going bad?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users