Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ways to Destroy A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

I have 2 hard drives. Both of them are old and both died. It's time to get rid of them, the only thing they do is collect dust.
Before I chunk them in the trash, I would like to destroy them.
Only thing is I have no clue how to do that. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

one way to do it is take all the little screws ou of the case and seperate it. inside you will see a disc that resembles a cd take this out and place it on a hard surface then strike it repeaqtedly with a roofing hammer with the serrated type head this may sound like a prank but it will make it unreadable

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

or you could take it apart and do what i do to the 10 or so hard drives that i destroy a month and just take and put about 30 or so holes in it or just open it and run it for a while and take a screw driver to the spinning head and then turn it over and do it again. :flowers: My camera battery died otherwise i would have showed you my ways of destroying a hard drive, the best one was the one I blew up! :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Haha this one was fun, the motor went before i could finish it. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Sobeysboy

Sobeysboy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

If you don't want to actually physically destroy them; there are programs such as DBAN or Kill Disk that will permanently erase the data (to DOD specs). The other thing to consider; is that once the drive has been erased, it should be disposed of at a local electronics recycling depot-as "chunking in the trash" is illegal.
AMD Phenom™ 9950 Quad-Core BE, Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM, WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb, HIS Radeon HD5770, SoundMAX Blackhawk HD Audio, Windows Vista HP-64 bit, ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, Corsair 750 watt PSU, Zalman GS 1000 Full Tower, CoolIt Domino CPU Cooler

#6 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Using a sledge hammer is always fun. It's never boring using a gun to send them to perdition either.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Whack it with a hammer until you hear it rattling on the inside
You can take out your aggressions on it for all the times computers have irritated you!

Thats what I do and its fun too!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:40 AM

Put a 1/4 inch drill bit in a power drill, drill away your memories. Or do this > :thumbsup: :flowers:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

microwave
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users