Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanently Kill Windows Messenger?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baldyjim

baldyjim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

Permanently Kill Windows Messenger?

I want to kill the (Windows) Messenger.

Dell D600 laptop, 2 gig memory, 180 gig hard drive.

Running XP Home, SP 3, and all updates to date.

I use Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 for a web browser, and Thunderbird 1.0.6 for an E mail reader.

IE 7 is installed because Microsoft will not recognize Firefox for downloading MS updates for XP and MS Office. Therefore, I think I need keep IE 7.

Something called “Windows Messenger” keeps loading an icon in the tray / tool bar at the lower right when I turn the laptop on. It always has an ‘X” over the icon. When I put the cursor over the icon, I get a legend saying “Not Connected” . If I right click on the icon, I get a little pop up (as opposed to drop down) meny that has on it a box labeled “Exit”. When I double left click “Exit”, the pop up box and he icon disappear.

I’m tired of having to go through that exercise to kill an icon and a program I never use. I want to permanently kill “Windows Messenger”, yet retain the option of using IE & when I really need it for accessing MS security updates.

I have looked in Control Panel under the “Add / Remove Programs “ tab. In the straight “Add / Remove” subtab, the program list says nothing anywhere in any entry about “Windows Messenger”.

In the “Add / Remove Windows Components” subtab, there is a line entry with “Windows Messenger” on it. The line shows 0 MB for the component. I check that component only in the add remove components tab and run the remove process. I get a lovely bar graph screen that claims its uninstalling the “Windows Messenger “ component. Process ends. I exit “Add / Remove Components”; exit “Settings”, exit “Control Panel”, and do a complete shut down.

I wait about three minutes and turn n the laptop again. The laptop loads up fin, and the ^$#^$%$# “Windows Messenger” icon shows up on the bottom tool bar / tray again!

How do I really finally totally kill “Windows Messenger”?

Thank you.

Baldy Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm

Messenger - http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm

CAUTION: Each of the methods above involves a registry edit. Although these are tried and trusted, you should back up your registry prior to ever attempting any registry edit.

A good tool for making this backup: ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

open messenger go to preferences options and set it to do not allow to run in background and do not start this program when windows starts and it will never come back.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

:thumbsup: If you prefer to remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

OR

To use: Download the xp_messenger_remove.vbs file and save it to your hard drive. Close Windows Messenger if its open, or active in your System Tray. Double-click the xp_messenger_remove.vbs file. You will be prompted that Messenger must be closed to continue. Click Yes. This script makes the same changes as the manual procedure, below.
For downloading please use this in google to download it: xp_messsenger_remove.vbs

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

If you are concerned about registry edits and want a simple 22 kb script that easily toggles Messenger on and off if you should ever need it again.

Steve Gibson's Shoot The Messenger

This 22 kbyte "Shoot The Messenger" utility gives users
immediate control over the Windows Messenger service.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

baldyjim, You mention Windows Messenger. The replies have covered instant messenger and Windows Messenger Service.
These are very different things.

Instant Messenger is included with XP as MSN Messenger. It's an older version, and can't be used unless you update to the newest version. Over the past few years, the name has changed from MSN Messenger to Windows Live Messenger, which is why some people may think you are referring to it.

If you click on the link in Animal's post, there is a picture of what Windows Messenger Service pop-ups looks like. Is this what you want to kill? I suspect this is what you are referring to.
If it is, use Shoot the Messenger to stop it from running.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 May 2010 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users