Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old hard drive

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stang90

stang90

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

So i just built a new computer, but i want to back up the old files from my previous computer. so im booting off a 160GB sata hard drive, and the old hard drive is 80GB IDE. But my new computer wont recognize my old hard drive. i read some where that theres i jumper combo for non ATA compatible hard drives, but that didnt seem to work

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

Is it reconized in bios? Also what is the operating system you are trying to boot?

:thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

If it is a single drive you should not need to set any jumpers. Leave it as single (or master in some cases).

If your cdrom drive is IDE the simplest thing to do is to temporarily disconnect the cdrom drive and attach the hard drive to its IDE cable. Otherwise you can connect your IDE drive to your motherboard with a standard IDE cable
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 stang90

stang90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

wow, thats hilarious, all i needed to do is unplug my CD drive. whats funny about this is that i took it to the computer store where i work to see if my boss could get it to work and he said there was no way to get the information off of it.

anyways, thanks guys :thumbsup:

#5 stang90

stang90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

omg you gotta be kidding me. i was looking through the files in the hard drive and it just disapeared. now i cant get the computer to detect it. i dont this theres a problem with the hard drive, it was working perfectly with my old computer

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

FWIW: What is reflected in Device Manager? Can you post a screenshot from there?

Louis

#7 badgerbadger

badgerbadger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

Don't know if this helps but I usually put the old harddrive in a usb enclosure, not in the PC. Then use something like Paragon to backup/restore.

#8 stang90

stang90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

i really dont want to buy an external enclosure for something that "might work". do they even sell them for 3.5 inch ide any more?

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

yes they do and you can always return it.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#10 badgerbadger

badgerbadger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Yes and they sometimes come with ide and sata connections. Depends what you buy. Invaluable at times I think.
For example only here is a list at Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url...p;x=13&y=20

Spotted one for ide and sata. Search around for cheaper enclosures. I use them for cloning.

#11 stang90

stang90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

ugh, forget it. i set the hard drive to master which got it to detect but if i try to go in it the computer just freezes up

#12 badgerbadger

badgerbadger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

OK, forgotten. :thumbsup:

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Try jumpering the drive to cable select (CS) and set it on the furthest IDE connector on the ribbon cable (the end one)with nothing on the second IDE connector on the cable
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 stang90

stang90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Try jumpering the drive to cable select (CS) and set it on the furthest IDE connector on the ribbon cable (the end one)with nothing on the second IDE connector on the cable

wha? :thumbsup:

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

OK stang90 you sound confused and in turn are confusing the rest of us.

What you have is a newer computer to which are trying to connect an older hard drive, which is an ATA IDE drive which requires a IDE ribbon cable connected to the IDE port on the motherboard.

My question to you is, have you as of yet been able to access the files on this drive?

If not, please let me know and I will explain to you in easy to understand instructions on what you need to do.

I'll be watching for your reply.

Best regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users