Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop stuck in boot loop following update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Yesterday I shut my laptop down because it needed to install updates, and since it was late I figured I'd just turn it back on in the morning. Now it gets to the "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0%" screen and just sits there spinning the HDD for a while and shuts down. I tried the safe modes and last known good config options. From what I understand, I need to boot the thing from a Vista install disc and repair the installation - but that's the catch, since I got this laptop by repairing it for a friend, I don't have any of the media that came with it, nor would it have come with a Vista install disc. I do still have the key for Vista attached to the bottom of the laptop case. How can I repair the Vista installation, preferably without losing my data or at least giving me time to offload some of my work?

Gateway MT6821
Vista SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sobeysboy

Sobeysboy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

I would suggest contacting Gateway, requesting Recovery Media CD from them - might cost a few $, but you'd be able to repair the laptop to factory specs.
While waiting for the CD from Gateway, you might be able to recover any data from the disc by connecting it to a HDD dock, and copying files onto another computer.
AMD Phenom™ 9950 Quad-Core BE, Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM, WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb, HIS Radeon HD5770, SoundMAX Blackhawk HD Audio, Windows Vista HP-64 bit, ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, Corsair 750 watt PSU, Zalman GS 1000 Full Tower, CoolIt Domino CPU Cooler

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Well... get the disc from gateway and boot from it and select repair and type chkdsk /r (notice the space between chkdsk and /r) :huh:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

Right, I forgot to mention that the optical drive is completely borked. Also, I tried getting it to boot Linux off a flash drive which didn't work.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

Well that is convinent, here is how to create a bootable usb for ubuntu: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/creat...e-the-easy-way/
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users