Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can VB sockets interface with PHP sockets?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

My freind is primaraly a VB programmer and I am primeraly web and PHP, we wanted to start learning online multipler game programming. I was thinking that if I wrote some PHP that listened on every IP and port 8124 for example then a VB program could open a TCP connection with it and they could send data back and forth. So far I have not got it to work, are we on the right track though?

Can a client program open a TCP connection with some PHP on a server?

Thanks, Wolfy87.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

No, it is not the same thing as setting up a web server. What you are trying to do is set up a socket on a server, and a client to connect to that socket. You can use PHP to listen on a socket, and there are tons of step by step tutorials, but that is not exactly what PHP is good for.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but without knowledge of things like how the network protocol stack works you are not going to get far. Socket programming is an advanced topic. Regardless, this is not something you are going to figure out in a couple of hours, or a couple of days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users