Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Strange Noise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vosscharge

Vosscharge

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

Hi. This is happening with a laptop I was working with running Windows Vista. There was about 113 gigs on the local disk this morning (Two drives in My computer, one the typical C: and another recovery, 6 of 7 gigs free on the recovery). As soon as the total memory dropped below 113 gigs (which it did for reasons unknown) a sound almost like a car going past could be heard from the computer, and did not stop until i removed several programs bringing the total memory back above 113 gigs.

It was fine for a few more hours until the memory yet again dropped below 113 and I had to uninstall several more programs to fix it. Running out of programs to uninstall. This noise has popped up in the past and run for 30 minutes (Give or take) before spontaneously stopping. Sometimes restarting will help, but after seeing the correlation with the memory today I figured I'd ask. Again, the computer is running Windows Vista. I don't have exact specs right now but do know laptop is around 4 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

My first thought is your hard drive is about to fail.

My suggestion is to start saving your data to a backup drive ASAP.

You need to gain access to the drive to get the maker of the drive and a model number and post it in your next reply, so a proper hard disk utility can be suggested and ran to check the drive for possible failure.

But before you go that route, be safe and backup your drive while it is still possible, once you have done that, it would be safe to run diagnostic software on it for read/write errors and possible servo/controller failure.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hi. Computer is an HP Pavilion DV6000 and the drive in question is a FUJITSU MHW2160BH PL ATA Device. It is possible/worth it to replace this correct? As far as hardware goes and actual dealing with matters inside the laptop I'm somewhat inexperienced.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

It is possible/worth it to replace this correct?

Yes, it's very possible to replace your laptop's hard drive.

You could probably find a new drive easily on newegg.com or e-bay for example.

Let me get back to you in a bit with information on the disk diagnostic software you'll need to check the hard drive with.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

OK Fujitsu was taken over by Toshiba, so here is the hard drive diagnostic software download links for your hard drive.

The first 3 boxes on this page have links to download hard drive diagnostic software, read the discriptions carefully for each and choose either to download a windows version or a DOS version and the third is for SCSI drives.

The DOS version has to be put on a bootable diskette such as a floppy disk and you have to boot from that disk, not the hard drive.

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Serv...ftwareUtilities

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#6 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:21 AM

Thanks a ton for all the help.

The Windows version reported bad sectors but seemingly failed to recover any and recommended I use a DOS version of the diagnosis kit. I am extremely unaware of most things to with DOS and I'm unsure of what to do outside of burning it to a disc.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

First of all, you're very much welcomed for any help we here at BC offer you, it is what we all love doing!

Now on to your request for further assistance.

I am not sure what type of media you are saving the disk diagnostic software to, it can be on both a floppy diskette or a bootable cdrom.

If you saved it to a floppy disk, just put it in drive A: (the floopy drive and reboot, it will run automatically)
When done, please remove the floppy disk from drive or it will boot from it again, bypassing the hard drive.

Below is instructions for if you used a CDROM disk only

It involves entering the BOIS setup utility and looking for the menu called BOOT or BOOT MENU.

You have to re-arrange the boot order, so the first chosen bootable drive that your media is on is chosen. For example, if you saved to a floppy diskette, you'd want drive A: or the floppy drive in position #1. (The first on the list, Look at the bottom of the screen for the sequence or for ideas on how to do this change)

The same goes if you saved it to a cdrom disk, preferably a cd-r disk, you'd want that CD drive to be the first one listed in the boot order.

Make sure you save this change by hitting the F10 key on the keyboard, this selects Save changes and exit? Of course you answer by typing Y for yes.

Once this is done, the computer should reboot and boot off the cdrom before heading to the hard drive, it will confirm by briefly asking you in white text on a black screen if you want to boot from the cdrom? hit ENTER and the hard disk diagnostic software should jump to the screen.

Let it run and do its thing, interact with it where it applies. It might reboot the system once it is done.

To avoid future confusion, you may want to return to your BIOS utility to change the BOOT order back to how it was before you changed it, or it will end up booting off of the cdrom again causing confusion.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 May 2010 - 05:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users