Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Burner Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ianbasore

ianbasore

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Okay... I have a Samsung SH-S182M IDE DVD Burner and up till now, it's worked like a champ.
Recently, I don't know what happened, but it's started to go on the fritz and I don't think it's the drive.
It's gotten to the point where if I insert any disc, the hard drive light goes on and stays on solid, the machine basically locks up, until I remove the disc, then it goes back to normal, as if nothing ever happened.

The reason I don't really think it's the drive is that I plugged in a plain old CD drive that I know works just fine into the machine in it's place and it's doing odd things as well, such as locking up the machine when any disc is inserted.

Both drives also bring up the error 38 at random times after the lockup that the device cannot start because there's already an instance of the driver in memory and it tells me to restart. I restart and it doesn't really make anything better because when I put a disc in, it goes all funky again...

The last thing that was odd before this big problem of the machine locking up when you insert a disc was that the buffer went crazy up and down when I was trying to burn a backup DVD of some pictures, audio files, etc.

None of the IDE hard drives are having any problems, so I don't know if it has anything to do with that...
I also thought maybe it was the IDE cable the CD was on, so I put the drive in a USB enclosure I had and it was no different, the drive acted the same way...

Someone had me go and make sure the drive was set for DMA and both the DVD-Burner and CD drive say they are under System>IDE Controllers...

I would really like some help on this... I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.

Please help me...

Edited by elise025, 15 May 2010 - 04:45 AM.
HJT log removed in order to keep topic in Internal Hardware forum ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

I was going to post to this problem but because you had an HJT log in your text, I chose not to reply, because HJT logs do not get reviewed in the hardware section of the forums, so I wasn't sure if it was going to be moved to the HJT forums for analysis.

I am curious if your drive reverted to PIO mode instead of DMA mode read this info http://winhlp.com/node/10

Read that info and if it does not apply to you, we'll be watching for your next reply. (Note: I realize it mentions windows 2000 in this article, but it applies to any Windows OS)

Make sure you read the whole article down past the quick solution part.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 May 2010 - 06:58 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users