Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian2010

Brian2010

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

On Windows Vista, I adjusted MSCONFIG to safe boot with network because I was udpating my wireless driver and marking some config and system files for that driver as read only. However, when I was done and clicked on normal startup on the general tab of MSCONFIG, the boot tab still shows safe boot with network even after I apply my changes and rebooted. So, I unchecked safe boot, but when I do this the general tab changes to selective startup even after a reboot. So, I can only boot in selective startup mode OR in safe boot mode, but not normal mode. I tried manually changing the registry to rid it of safe boot with network, but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get the computer back to normal boot to load all drivers without the safeboot getting checked? It's very strange....thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

If any changes are made through "msconfig", your "normal" startup will be called "selective startup". There is nothing to worry about, as long, as everything works.
This is how my "msconfig" looks like:

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Brian2010

Brian2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

Ok. It just looks odd to me in that it was marked as normal originally. Mine shows the same as yours. I do get a message now that the system configuration utlity is blocked at startup and needs permission to run. It didn't used to do that. I do have the UAC controls to ask for permission. But when it booted in normal mode, msconfig was not blocked.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

I do get a message now that the system configuration utlity is blocked at startup and needs permission to run

It's normal too. "msconfig" need admins privileges to run. When any changes are made, you'll be asked to grant permission to run it in edited ("selective") form.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Brian2010

Brian2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

Okay. Thanks for your help!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Sure thing :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users