Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Window 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm upgrading a Vista OS to Windows 7 and everything goes okay until the 2nd part, Upgrading Windows|Transfering files and programs. It hangs at 63% and has been there for the last 20 hours but still appears to be 'doing something'.
Any suggestions???
Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

I should have added it is a Dell Inspiron 1720 32bit system

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

I don't recommend in-place upgrades, as they are often riddled with bugs. Or, in your case, the upgrade never completes...20 hours is way too long...it will never finish.

You could cancel and try again (it might work this time), but I would recommend just doing a clean install (assuming you saved your data).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

yes to further KN's post I would go with a clean install BUT first back up all of your files to an external hard drive and then do the format and reinstall. :huh:

Edited by computerxpds, 15 May 2010 - 04:38 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the input, I did back out and Vista was restored. I did some additional checks of the startup programs, etc., and found an expired install of Stopzilla was launching at each log in.
I removed it, started the 'upgrade' install again, quickly got by the 63% mark then I thought it was hang again @ 72%. I searched about that and found a suggestion, printed it. When to get it off the printer and as I walked by the laptop I noticed it was rebooting and came up with the congrads msg about Windows 7 as being installed satisfactory.
Logged in, ran Windows Update and all is working well.

Thanks for replying! This matter can be considered CLOSED/Resolved

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

Glad it finished and you have windows 7. :huh: hope everything continues to go ok.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users