Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP repair install says setup is restarting but then black screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dnst3

dnst3

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

i should of read more into the instructions of the xp repair install but i think those last bits were a bit vague. either way i'm at this point now. when i left the repair install alone and then came back i had thought it was reinstalling and formatting instead of just repairing. but i panicked and forced the computer to shutdown when the screen was asking for further instructions when it was at the choose regional language part along with 33 minutes to go. now this is what i see when i reboot. once it gets to setup is restarting screen it then turns into a black screen with nothing but my mouse pointer, which is responsive. there must be something i can do? a file i can just delete so the whole thing gets restarted or reversed so i can try a proper repair install. please help here? :S thanks if any! before i found more clear instructions i forced shutdown about 3 times thinking regular windows xp home will startup. last thing was booting off of my xp home cd but the dang repair option was not there. i did google and find something like "delete a folder in the C: dir and it should revert... but i wasn't sure. so here i am. i was running windows xp home with updated to sp3. so i think thats all relavent info. i also thought of borrowing my friends copy of hirens boot cd to see what it can do.. but im not sure :S! help please? it would be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

are you sure that the computer is not working when you get the black screen ? is the hard drive making noise or the hard drive light flashing that would indicate the computer is computing ?
it may take windows a while to recover from the power lose. it may be doing a disk check but may not be able to supply a GUI (show graphics)

if it seems like it is computing, let it run for a while to see if it can recover.

if not i fear you may have to do a clean install, but that does not mean you will lose all your data. there are ways to recover that.

#3 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

well i think i heard the hdd go with its typical noise. but i will check again. the last time i waited while it was all black screen was last night and i waited about 30~40 minutes. ive read around that it might be possible to delete something and get back to the installed os? kind of negating the setup and starting from the top?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Why were you attempting a repair install of XP?

Do you have a Genuine MS XP CD...or are you using recovery/restore disks?

Louis

#5 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

the model is HP Pavilion a6114x Desktop PC so it was made by HP, i was attempting it b/c i could not reinstall java after a spyware infection and my xp home disk is the real deal.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Does this describe your present situation?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#7 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

i think this is it. once i backup my data today. i can try this out.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Worth reading, http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-sys...isks/td-p/48309.

That's why I asked...about the disk you intend to use.

Louis

#9 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

i told you right? i intended to use my large sata drive to backup. then hopefully repair the smaller ide drive that windows is on.

for some reason bleeping was down/giving me 404. anyway i get what you meant. but my disk is retail. as you can tell the machine is OEM so i'm probably stuck with full reinstall. but as long as the data is backed up it can't stop me wrong trying, right?

Edited by dnst3, 17 May 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:06 AM

As long as you have a retail XP install CD...you can attempt to use it to do a clean install or repair your OEM-installed version of XP.

As I see it, the fact that the current structure of partitions on the disk (as established by the OEM) will be the deciding factor in how any attempt to use the fixmbr command goes.

If your data files are saved to some other media...and since you have the capability to do a clean install if things don't go well with the repair effort...I see no reason not to try the fixmbr command.

Louis

#11 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

bit of a problem. even in safe mode i get the setup thing. is there another way to fix the mbr? this is what i get when i try that mode. the files are loaded as usual but when i see the screen with safe mode on it all i see is black.

Edited by dnst3, 20 May 2010 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users