Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tele Sales offering support for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site and couldn't find a topic that covered my enquiry. I have been approached via cold calling tele sales from three different companies claiming to be authorised MS Windows certified technicians. They tell me my warranty has expired and I need to take out a contract with them to prevent my computer from slowing down (which it is not doing) - they get you to look at a warnings list which looks horrendous with several red warnings. But are they real? The seem to offer support for anthing from 35 for 6 months up to 300 for 4 years support. Are these just scams and if so why do we get no warnings about them?

Anyone else had dealings with these firms?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Probably total b-s. What do they mean by warranty has expired. On what? Windows 7 just came out.

why do we get no warnings about them?

Maybe because it is a new enough scam that it hasn't been picked up. Does the UK have something similar to the Better Business Bureau where you could check?

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

maybe look into the do not call list if that exists in the uk as well.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

Wow! :huh:
What people won't do to make a dis-honest buck?

Don't believe that scam for one moment. :huh:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Hah...nice scam...like groovicus said...it's BS. Don't believe it.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for your comments - you have been a great help and I am now following up your suggestions for sites in the UK like those mentioned in the USA.

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for your comments - you have been a great help and I am now following up your suggestions for sites in the UK like those mentioned in the USA.

Microsoft or any of its partners would never cold call people, all their after is your financial details to scam you different to the usual anti-virus scams that have been going around for some time.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 gawally

gawally

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

Had one of these calls about 18 months or so ago. They get you to look at Task manager and such things that a lot of people wouldn't know much about and then tell you that some things shouldn't be there unless using them. I can't remember all that he went on about but I led him on for about half an hour and then told him very politely :huh: where to go. It is a scam, do a search on net of company they say they are. It possibly seems they are a computer repair company but try to rope people in to getting things fixed that don't need fixing.
There were a lot more bits but much less storage in old mainframes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users