Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help changing boot configuration from command line.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OSofERIS23

OSofERIS23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hello, I hate to say it but this is the first of several questions I will likely be asking here at bleepingcomputer.com before all is said and done. I like to think I am fairly computer savvy, and while I have used this forum as a reference in the past I have never felt so far gone that I needed to actually log in and ask a question-- until now. I am running Windows Vista SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5630 laptop, using Microsoft Security Essentials as my main antivirus program.

I have a problem in my system, and I am not sure yet whether it is virus/malware-related or if I have just goofed the regsitry or some other key part of my OS to the point that I can't get back to a decent boot. Up until a day or two ago, my computer would only boot properly into safe mode, without crashing less than ten minutes after booting up. I elected to set my Boot Configuration to boot with bootlogging enabled and (foolishly, i now fear) checked the box to make my boot config "permanent." Now I know it isn't actually permanent, only persistent until I can get in there to change the configuration. But the problem is, my system will not boot in this mode. I get the screen that informs me that I will be booting in safe mode w/networking and that bootlogging is enabled (i thought this would help me gain insight into what was crashing my system) and then I get the ol' BSOD.

System Repair from a Vista Recovery CD cannot fix the errors in my system, and chkdsk will not run from the X:\ command prompt that I can open in the advanced options. My question is this: Is there a way for me to change the boot configuration in order to boot into regular Safe Mode from the command line? At this point, I just want to get my data off of my E:\ partition before reinstalling Vista from scratch using the Acer eRecover DVDs I made when the computer was bought. I could do this now, of course, but I would lose tons of important personal data and files, including backups of all settings and installed programs.

I have tried getting into my system with the Avira Recovery System boot CD, but it hangs up after the virus scan runs. All the virus scan shows is one single .ico file in my "Icons" folder (i have lots and lots of custom icons, i desgin and collect them) which is apparently actually a Trojan Horse of some sort (sorry, I didn't write the file name down but I can run the scan again if necessary.)

I have also tried Ultimate Boot CD ver 5.0 but I am afraid it is a bit over my head and I can't seem to get access to anything on my system using its myriad options.

There are plenty of other strange things happening inside windows that I will happily screen shot and ask questions about, should I be able to get back into my system. Just in case some of them might ring a bell for users/techs here at the site, I'll say that my main user profile has TWO logins to click on when at the "Switch User" login screen. Two user account pictures, two identical user names and passwords, and the same sets of privileges assigned to each. It doesn't seem to make a difference which I log in with. Also-- there seems to be several sets of user folders in the "My Computer" section of my system, which normally don't even exist other than inside the C:\Users\username folder. Also, in the "My Computer" folder, there are several (anywhere from 9 to 27, depending on the day) mysterious "blank" files with a simple white-page default file icon and no name. They can be selected with one click of the mouse, but they cannot be clicked on, named or renamed, moved, deleted, or otherwise altered, and there is no information available in the Details plane about them. I can't even tell how large they are.

Some of my problems seem to be related to a failed install of ZoneAlarm that I have had considerable trouble getting rid of, but I'm just not sure at this point if that is the main cause or just one of them.

tl;dr - How do I change the boot configuration from the command line inside the Vista System Recovery Options? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Pertains to XP, but it could be the same: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

bootcfg doesn't exist in Vista. It was replaced with BCDEDIT.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 OSofERIS23

OSofERIS23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Cryptodan... although, Broni is correct, bootcfg doesn't exist in Vista. I just referred to it as the boot configuration because that's still what it is, even if the command is different. Thanks Broni, for informing me of the new command, BCDEDIT. Can anyone tell me how to use BCDEDIT to reset the boot mode back to normal? That way I can get to safe mode from F8 during startup. Or perhaps where to change it in the registry? Also, anyone have any thoughts regarding the other things i mentioned? Or should I start new topics pertaining to those items? Thanks again.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:15 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

#6 OSofERIS23

OSofERIS23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:33 AM

Thanks again, Crypto! I actually found this link earlier today, but I can't seem to find the command I'm looking for. It may be on that page and I just don't know what to look for, but if you (or anyone else here) can tell me the specific command, or series of commands, to change my BCD back to normal Safe Mode, I sure would appreciate it. I need to remove the Bootlogging attribute from my current BCD. If anyone can help me do this, either from the command line or from the registry, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

This maybe of use to you:

Displays a list of BCDEdit commands. Running this command without an argument displays a summary of the available commands. To display detailed help for a particular command, run bcdedit /? command, where command is the name of the command you are searching for more information about. For example, bcdedit /? createstore displays detailed help for the Createstore command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users