Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Directory/Domain Controller Replication

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CheeseSteak

CheeseSteak

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

I am in a tough situation here. I don't know that much about servers and I am forced to find out this answer.

Here is what I am dealing with:

I have two servers (on the same network) both running 2000 server. The one has the domain controller on it with active directory? and the other has a few programs on it but thats it.

I want to be able to replicate/synchronize my domain controller (or active directory, not sure which terminology is correct) with the blank server in case there is some type of hardware malfunction.

How do I do that!?!? I tried looking all over the internet but I don't really know what I should be looking for. Please help!!!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

Both servers must be domain controllers for a sync to occur. Once the second server is promoted to a DC all syncing of AD and DNS will happen automatically. You need to spend some time looking at the proccess to create a DC in order to do it right. The basic command is dcpromo which starts the wizard to promote a server to a DC. Fortunately the existing server has most of the information you need already since you will simply be adding to an existing domain. What you will need from the existing server is the domain name and the IP address. DC's requie a static IP for the server so be sure the second server has a static IP. When promoting the server the IP for the DNS will be the existing server. Once you have completed the promotion process the sync will be 100% complete in four to twelve hours. One other thing to check is the type of DNS server your existing server has. If it is AD intergrated then you can create another AD intergrated DNS server on the second server and DNS will sync when AD does. If not then you should setup a secondary DNS server on the second server in order to have a DNS backup as well.

As far as articles the best way is to search microsoft for each phase of the process. If you are totally unfamiliar with the promotion process, AD, and DNS I highly suggest you get some local help to complete your task or spend a lot quality time curled up with a 2000 server book for 70-215 and do it on a spare computer a few times to get the jist of it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users