Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on a Malware / Google Redirect Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 TNSGF

TNSGF

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hello, Just wanted to get some opinions on what I may have and what to do about it, before I consider setting up the Removal Logs and whatnot.

This all started last week on Tuesday. I had previously had exams and so had not used the computer for a good week or two. My parents are pretty much incapable of using technology, and I figure it was my dad who managed to get something on the machine.
So, anyway, Tuesday. My exams done and I'm ready to play TF2 in celebration.
I turn on the computer and after a while my firewall indicates that some program wanted to connect to the internet. At this point, I don't remember what it was, but I do remember that it was oddly named and I became suspicious (though, I was too psyched for gaming so didn't bother investigating). I to;d the firewall to block the program.

Later, before starting my game, I disabled the firewall [I use(d) Rogers Online Protection which had a retarded firewall that would block connection to Steam even when I gave it permission. So I had to always disable it] and booted up the game. A little bit later something was telling me that I had viruses...
To make a long story short... I was infected with Desktop Security 2010. I looked around the Internet for a soltuion that included using "RKill" to destroy the malware and then "MalwareBytes" to clean up my system. Malwarebytes found a bunch of programs and I removed them.

So, here are my problems, coming one week later:

1. After the Desktop Security Malware, my Google Chrome stopped working. It would no longer load any pages, ever. Reinstalling it or rebooting the PC made no difference. All other browsers functioned normally.
2. Yesterday, I noticed that I had the Google Redirect virus. All my searches are redirected to random spam sites. This happens on all my browsers (except Chrome, which won't load). Nothing that I have tried so far is removing or even detecting it. Malware Bytes and my Rogers Anti-Virus have found nothing. Hitman Pro 3.5 found nothing. I downloaded a "TDSS" rootkit killer from the Kaspersky website. It keeps telling me that I have the virus in my driver "atapi." It says it will cure on reboot, but fails to get rid of it every time I do.

These last two may be unrelated but I'll add them anyway.
3. Every time I try running TF2, after a while I am booted from the servers for either (a) "VAC servers lost connection" or something like that or (:thumbsup: "Client Timed Out". I have read that this may be caused my Malware.
4. Sometimes, TF2 crashes. An error screen comes up saying: hl2.exe application error. Instruction at 0x1c1f9d2 (or other combinations of numbers\letters after the "0x") referenced memory at 0x(again a combination of letters\numbers) memory...

These began occuring regularly on the Tuesday after my exam. I figure this is either caused by the malware or an error in the updating of Steam (since steam was updated completely on Tuesday). However, I have since redownloaded both Steam and TF2, yet the problem continues.

Anyway, those are my troubles. If you have similar experiences or possibly know of a solution or what the malware is, please help out.
I've tried different solutions but to no avail. I'm considering doing a full System Restore. Do you think this is the best option?

Thanks!

Edited by TNSGF, 14 May 2010 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hello,

I see that you have posted a topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/316914/malware-infested-computer-getting-worse/ and are receiving assistance there. To avoid confusion, I shall close this topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users