Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of log-in name and pasword

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi,
My mother got confused and put a name and password on her computer. She thinks she knows what it was. I would like to help her to remove this, since there is no reason for her to have one and it seems to be causing problems. It is a problem I am unfamiliar with. Thanks!

Dell optiplex, avast, zonealarm, malwarebytes, firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

hi, if she know what it is and just want to stop using it ,go into windows and go to start/ control panel /users and simply remove the password for here username acct.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

We at BC are unable to assist with forgotten usernames and passwords.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

i under stand that ,but what im offering involves knowing the passward already[they said she thinks she knows it ] ,i did not offer any tools or milisious way to do it .just a way to not use one ,not the same as providing tools to remove a password

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Hi,
My mother got confused and put a name and password on her computer. She thinks she knows what it was. I would like to help her to remove this, since there is no reason for her to have one and it seems to be causing problems. It is a problem I am unfamiliar with. Thanks!

Dell optiplex, avast, zonealarm, malwarebytes, firefox

i under stand that ,but what im offering involves knowing the passward already[they said she thinks she knows it ] ,i did not offer any tools or milisious way to do it .just a way to not use one ,not the same as providing tools to remove a password

So she thinks he knows what it is?

Do you know the administrator password?

#6 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for the replies from both of you! I hope she has not forgotten. If she hasn't, then I will follow the very helpful advice given.

If she has, then we will experiment with things similar to what she thinks it is and hope we get it! I can understand how BC wouldn't want to get involved with lost passwords.

I bought (used) and set up the computer and did not put on an administrator password. I was able to get into all the administrator functions when I was setting up the computer, as far as I know. So I don't think there is one.

Never a dull moment! :thumbsup:

Edited by Firetooth, 15 May 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#7 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Had a session by phone with my mother. We were able to get in just fine without using a log-in. She had some other problems which we fixed and she is online again.

We went to Control Panel/Users and looked around. Couldn't find any named accounts there. There is one change to her computer, however. When she shuts down, the start button goes to "turn off". She has to hit this before the system will completely shut down.

Not sure what, if anything, this signifies. Does anyone know?

Thanks as always, :thumbsup:
Firetooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users