Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is better

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PDARR

PDARR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

I'm off to Best Buy tomorrow. This PC is 7 years old and reeealll slow. My question is in regards to the Intel processor. Which is better, the i3, i5 or i7. Most of Best Buys PC's have 1Terabite HD, 6-8 Gig of ram. I'm excited!!!!!!! :blink: :wacko: :) :) :) :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hi,

Well it depends on what you are planing to do with it.. the i7 is the top class and is somewhat over powered for normal users it is more geared towards the extreme gamer.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:08 AM

Haha! I was asked this exact same question yesterday, so I did quite a bit of research, and here's the gist of what I found out:

i3 = dual core, it allows hyper threading ( = better multitasking), however i3 processors do not support turbo-boost, so they do not automatically over-clock. This can cause a slight performance difference. So under some conditions, i3 performance might go down to lower level Core 2 quad performance (note Core 2 quad is better than Core 2 duo), while i5 600 series and i5 700 series are equal to mid level and higher level core 2 quad processors.

i5 = support turbo boost, the dual core i5's have hyper threading, the quad cores don't. Performance is rather better than the i3.

i7 = quad core, rather expensive, support turbo boost, appear as 8 cores due to hyper threading, generally better performance than i5.

Go for the i5 750. Its supposed to be nearly as good as the i7s.

Edited typo.

Edited by NightWarlock, 16 May 2010 - 10:11 AM.

On an extended break.

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

Please avoid Best Buy, unless however you enjoy getting sold stuff you don't/won't need or have some fetish for blue shirts. However that's not the point of this post.

In general the i7 > i5 > i3 in performance and price is the same way, you get what you pay for.

I realize that 1TB seems to be the going rate at this time for HDD size but I would warn that you may not need that. I have a very large amount of music, and pictures and 2 CAD packages on my desktop with a 500GB HDD and it's only about half full. I would consider whether you really need that much space.

Also lets mention 6-8GB of RAM. This is great, however unless you are doing some heavy stuff (Gaming at High-Res or Video editing) I don't ever see you using a full 8GB and in fact I would predict that you probably won't break 4GB very often.

I would say overall that 500-750GB of HDD space, 4GB of RAM (DDR3 spec), and an Intel i5 or equivalent AMD CPU will serve most people quite well. The only thing that gives me cause to advocate for overbuilding in this case is that you mentioned you only buy a PC every seven years or so. In this case then you may want to buy the best PC you can get because who knows how well it will be performing in 5 years or more.

I see that this post is over 2 days and old and you mentioned "Tomorrow" which right now would be "Yesterday." We would be pleased to hear what you ended up with if you did buy a PC already.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#5 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

RAM is relatively inexpensive, so extra RAM wouldn't hurt. A 1 TB HDD is overkill though.

On an extended break.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

yeah a 500GB should do you well I have a 1TB but I have over 1000 programs so... (most are games and some are just a wide range of programs) :blink:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users