Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some buttons missing last letter after malware infection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman55556

Dudeman55556

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

After becoming infected with Antivirus Soft, I removed it without trouble using malwarebytes. Now buttons on different programs are missing the last letter.

At first, I thought it was just a problem with malwarebytes.

Posted Image

Then, since I got Antivirus Soft because of an outdated version of Adobe Reader, I downloaded and installed the newest version. This is after I had removed Antivirus Soft.

Surprisingly, the cancel button was missing a letter too.

Posted Image

Those are the only two programs so far I've noticed having the problem, but it's only been happening for about 5 minutes, so I assume there are other programs having the problem as well. Also, as you can see in the pictures, it doesn't affect all the buttons.

What worries me is it happened to a program I downloaded after I removed Antivirus Soft. Did malwarebytes miss one of the files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

Try reverting back to Normal GUI without any themes and see if the issue still remains. If you what you said was true you would see that the Next on the Adobe installer would be missing the T or the >

#3 Dudeman55556

Dudeman55556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

It's not the theme, I've had this theme for years without a problem.

#4 Dudeman55556

Dudeman55556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Er... Actually, switching back to the normal GUI did fix it. But it wasn't like this before, so I think the virus did something to the theme I'm using.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

You need to redownload the Theme then and install it.

#6 Dudeman55556

Dudeman55556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

That didn't fix it, so either it's a problem with a file that didn't get replaced when I reinstalled the theme, or it's a problem with the theme and I've just never noticed it before.

It doesn't really matter, though. As long as it's not a remnant of the virus, I really don't care very much.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Glad your PC is clean, and happy bleeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users