Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WebResult

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Erkdance

Erkdance

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

I have just recently installed XP Pro on my computer after buying a new hard drive. Long story short I preloaded a flash drive with software I would use. After installing XP I quickly installed all of the software, including FireFox. As I have seen on many posts every time I click a link on Google it re-directs be to webresult6.org.

I thought I possibly had downloaded spyware or something similar (a couple downloads were torrents). I reformatted the computer again and this time only installed FireFox. Same issue.

Edited by Budapest, 14 May 2010 - 04:29 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Erkdance

Erkdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

After doing some research on the issue I have resolved the solution. My specific issue was I downloaded a copy of Windows XP SP3 (due to my original legit copy was scratched beyond use).

A slightly better description of my issue was search engine links being redirected when clicked.

The directory (that appears to contain the file for Windows XP and Windows Vista) is C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

The file name you need to edit with notepad is HOSTS. Any line that starts without a # symbol is active.

What you should see normally is:
127.0.0.1 localhost

If you see a lot of other lines, especially that have to do with search engines, like google.com or google.anything, yahoo.com, etc, remove these lines but be sure to leave the line:
127.0.0.1 localhost

I hope this helps and maybe this information can be pinned! It might resolve your issue but it take a couple minutes to check up on.

Edited by Erkdance, 14 May 2010 - 09:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users