Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Issue

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Techboy101

Techboy101

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1501 that doesn't have any sound. I've checked the device manager and nothing is listed as being disabled, turned off, or malfunctioning. However, I did notice that the SigmaTel High Def audio driver was missing, though not listed as missing. I used Add/Remove Hardware wizard in a vain attempt to locate the missing device. Unfortunately, it didn't find a thing. I then attempted to install the driver for the missing device anyhow, and it gave me an error message. What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Can you discribe the error message you recieved when attempting to update the driver?

What exactly is the missing Device you tried to update?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

One last question.

What operating system are you using?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

This link is Drivers for Windows XP

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

This link is for drivers for Windows Vista

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...anConsent=False

Post back if you are not using either of these and we'll see what else is available.

#5 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the post :flowers: It's running on Windows XP Home. The device that I know is there but isn't listed is the Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio device. I've been on Dell's website already, entered the service tag, and have been taken to that laptops download center. It's the only audio device listed in the downloads section, so unless they're wrong, I've seen it happen before with some HP's, that's the correct one. Unfortunately, I cannot replicate the error message.

Thanks again, for any help :thumbsup:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

OK, if I am following your last reply correctly, you already tried installing the listed audio driver from HP's web site, but your not getting any audio output to the speakers is this correct?

#7 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

I attempted to install it from Dell's website, because it's a Dell laptop. I was just making reference to past experiences that I've had in regards to misplaced or downright wrong drivers on HP's website for some specific units.

Otherwise, yes, you understood correctly. After attempting to reinstall the driver for the missing device I still have no audio. The internal speakers still work because when I ran a few anti-malware scans it gave me a beep or two.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

OK I understand.

Have you gone into your sound properties through the speaker icon next to the system clock and checked all the volume controls for one that might be either muted or turned down?

#9 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Well, the speaker icon next to the tray is not there. So, I went to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices and, in the properties box, it says that there are no audio devices. I also tried to click on the Sigmatel icon in the Control Panel, but it states that it is inaccessible and tells me to make sure that the driver or device is installed and enabled. I also checked the bios for any clues as to what's going on and I found nothing.

I also have that error message for you. I restarted the laptop after another attempt at installing the driver and upon reboot the system gave me this error

"ExitError: Error=This system does not support the driver you are attempting to install"

Edited by Techboy101, 14 May 2010 - 02:46 PM.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

Okay this means there are no drivers installed for this device to work with windows, therefore no speaker icon.

This "Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio device" audio card you speak of, is this an add-on card in a slot or an on-board intergrated type?

#11 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

It's integrated.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Ok here's some things I found on the web.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...4c-4ec0ff922450

Seems like you're not alone, have a look at this thread from HP. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/Sigm...iver/td-p/16850

Here is a link to the company that writes the driver software code for your sound card. http://www.idt.com/?catid=7233908 I've looked around this site but have not found any drivers as of yet, but it's worth a look.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 May 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#13 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

Unfortunately, this does not describe my issue. It appears as though most of the users found on these two links have either 32 or 64 bit Vista operating systems. They can also see the device listed in their manager menus, I cannot. I've looked around, but have not been able to find any proper fix for this. I'm going to continue to look. . .

Thanks again, for your help

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Ok next attempt to correct this problem, have you tried entering the laptop's BIOS setup utility screen yet?

#15 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, I found nothing in relation to audio devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users