Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting 2 wireless routers together

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JJ133169

JJ133169

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

hey all, i wanted to connect my two wireless routers together. google is not being very helpful on this topic, even though im sure someone will find a guide on there to help me that i couldnt find. but that would be helpful.

Trying to figure out how to do it and make it work. Alot of the guides are like do this, do that but dont tell you what or how to do it.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

OK, what you are asking is possible, but because routers have different procedures for doing this, we would need to know exactly what two brand name routers you are attempting to do this with.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

It will depend on what you want to do. If your only looking to use the other router to get more available ports then it is really simple. Hook up to the first router and set the address to the default or whatever address scheme you are using. Then hook up to the second router and change the last number of the address by one digit up (ie if the first router is 192.168.1.1 then make sure the second router is 192.168.1.2) and turn off the DHCP services. Then pluggin a direct cable from one to the other is the best way to get the best band width from one device to the other.

If your looking to create a different subnet on the second router you will need to change it from a gateway to a router and enter the routing table.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 JJ133169

JJ133169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

I have an older linksys and a newer linksys.

Im trying to be able to use 1 upstairs, and then use the other closer to the downstairs because the signal is week, so i was thinking using a long cable i would connect router 1 to router 2 thats closer to the basement. So petty much want to do it the easyest way.

Can someone give me a step by step?

#5 JJ133169

JJ133169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

which would be better to use?create a different subnet, or just use to to extend my range?

On my system i have - always on - a printer, desktop, and 2 laptops

and occasionally an Ipod touch, another desktop, and another laptop

so i could have up to 7 devices on at one time.

6 connected via wireless. 1 via ethernet

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Baltboy has pretty much layed it out. router one(upstairs)DHCP enabled using default IP (ie 192.168.1.1) modem connected here if not built in. setup wireless.
hardwire to router two(downstairs) disable DHCP, set IP (ie 192.168.1.2) set up wireless with different name.
you will have two wireless networks in house and you can connect to the strongest signal.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

This site has TONS of info. Its good stuff.

This site is specific to what you want to do.

Save them both. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users