Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help badly - Malware, spyware, etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jazzy88

Jazzy88

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

OK - where to start. I got infected with both My Security Engine and Data Protection. Following the guide on this site I attempted to run Malware Bytes Anti-Malware while in Safe Mode. Problem is I couldn't get into Safe Mode - I would choose it upon reboot but it would still end up booting to my normal screen. I did a little more research about getting into safe mode and someone recommended running msconfig and then going to the boot.ini tab and checking safeboot. I tried that and now my computer does nothing but rotate between 3 screens - my Compaq splash screen, a black screen with nothing but a blinking cursor, and the screen showing the different safe mode options to choose from. When I choose any one of the safe mode options it lists out a bunch of line items and sounds like it's trying to boot, but then just goes back to one of those same three screens.

I'm not sure what other info you might need to help me with this. I'm running Win XP.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Budapest, 14 May 2010 - 04:31 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Insert your Windows installation CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD. You will be prompted with the following options:

A. To setup Windows XP, press Enter.
B. To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

Choose the option, "To repair the Windows XP installation using recovery console", press R. If an Administrator Password have been established, you will be prompted to type it in. If no Administrator Password exists, just press ENTER.

You will be presented with the following:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

Press the number assigned to the installation you need access to on your keyboard and hit Enter.

In this case and if only the above is displayed is 1.

At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

Attrib -s -h -r C:\Boot.ini
Del C:\Boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild

• When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

• You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

• This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

• When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
Once this process is completed, type EXIT and press ENTER to restart your computer.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users