Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXTREMELY Slow XP Boot-up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chadds

chadds

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

Hi, I have an HP A1750Y Desktop. Specs are ASUS P5LP-LE MoBo, 2GB Ram, Pentium D 820 2.8 Ghz processor. I bought this computer with Windows Vista installed, and have been running it that way for the last few years. Boot-up has always been extremely slow, even from the day it was new, and it had gotten worse to the point that it would take about 15-20 minutes to boot. The Bios screen itself would be on for a long time, and then after the Vista Desktop would load, it would still be an additional 5 minutes until icons or the start bar would load.

After being generally fed-up with Vista, as the computer had many other software quirks, I decided to do a fresh install of XP Pro over the weekend.

To my surprise, the boot times were not improved at all! The computer itself works well and has good speed after finally booting up, but it takes about 15-20 minutes from power on, until you can use the OS. I did the install with a brand new HDD, so a HDD problem is not the culprit.

Does anyone have any clues what the issue may be? I wouldn't call myself a computer expert, but I'm not a dummy with computers either, and this problem has me baffled. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

The Bios screen should pass by very quickly. I would venture to say there are setting in the BIOS that are set incorrectly. I'm assuming you ave not changed anything in the BIOS and are not using some RAID setup that may be affected by altering the BIOS with the following suggestion. If all of that is true I wouls go into the BIOS and reset it back to the factory defaults and restart the computer watching to see if there is a noticable improvement in the speed of the Boot especially in the BIOS portion. Then we can go from there.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

What speed of hard drive do you have?

Is it a 5400rpm or a 7200 rpm drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic