Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to fully kill or remove McAfee Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 baldyjim

baldyjim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

Dell Desktop Dimension XPS T450. Running Win2KPro 5.00.2195 with Service pack 4 and all updates.

I fired Comcast as an ISP. Comcast had supplied a version of McAfee anti virus. I can't update the McAfee, and it will not fully uninstall or remove.

After running the Uninstall utility in the Control Panel in Win2K Pro, I still have on the machine part of McAfee Anti Virus.

Specifically, on C drive, in Program Files, there is a folder called McSAfee. In that folder is a subfolder called MSC.

In the first level of that MSC folder are the following files:

mcobres.dll
mclocres.dll
micmismgr.dll
micmispps.dll
mcmscsvc
McNmcCoR.dll
McNmcLoR.dll
McNmcPrv.dll
McNmcRes.dll
McNmcSrv.dll
mcpromgr
mcprotpv.dll
mcres.dll
mcshllps.dll

None of these folders will delete, erase or uninstall. When an attempt is made to delete, erase or uninstall, I get a message box stating:

“Cannot delete (filename): Access is denied. The source file may be in use.”

That folder also has a sub folder called OEM. In the OEM folder is a further sub folder called 108; In the 108 subfolder is the file:

mccobres.dll:

This folder will not delete , erase or uninstall. When an attempt is made to do so, I get a message box stating:

“Cannot delete mccobres: Access is denied. The source file may be in use.”

I need to permanently delete, erase or uninstall all the above files.

Their presence and presumed activity are preventing the download / installation of other programs, including another vendor’s anti virus files.

Other than loading a DOS boot file and bypassing the Win2Kpro OS, and manually typing in the DOS commands to del the files, have you any ideas?

Do I also need to edit the Registry o make ure I kill McAfee? If so, what do I look for?

Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:35 AM

Hi baldyjim,

There is a removal tool from McAfee called MCPR.exe

The tool and usage instructions are here:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by marktreg, 14 May 2010 - 02:36 AM.

#3 baldyjim

baldyjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Thank yu.

Downloading and running the McAfee removal ool solved the proble. The McAfree items are totally gone.

Note to others: The removal tool takes about 15 minutes to run completely. Patience. The pogress bar fills very very very slowly.

Again, thank you fr he reply and the tip.

#4 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

Excellent news, baldyjim. Glad we could help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users