Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nvidia 9600GT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

I am using 400 watt PSU and my system configuration is Intel Pentium D 915, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 Ram, 2 SATA HDD, 2 DVD Writer, Creative SoundBlaster PCI sound card. Now I wanted to install nvidia 9600GT Graphics card - Is my PSU enough for this card? How much wattage it consumes during full power? Please reply as soon as possible.
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

Plz, I am waiting for reply.
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

#3 Man_or_Astroman

Man_or_Astroman

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

It depends on whether or not the 12 volt rail on the power supply, supplies enough amperage. At full power draw, the 9600 GT uses 96 Watts, on the 12volt rail.

You have to do some math to figure it out. Take into consideration all the devices on your system that use the 12 volt rail such as drive moters, fans, the cpu, graphics card...(you have to do some homework to figure out how much those devices draw, just look on the devices) If a cpu uses say 60 watts at max power draw, that means the cpu is using 5 amps off the 12volt rail. You divide the watts by the voltage rail used. If you have a max. of 15 amps available on the 12volt rail, then this means you've just used 5 amps and have 10 left. However, you will not be able to pull max. amperage from all voltage rails (12, 3.3, 5) simultaneously.

Look on the manufacturer website of the cpu, to see how much wattage the cpu uses..

Keep in mind that devices on your system will likely not draw maximum power simultaneously, unless you're doing some hardcore stuff. But generally, when I calculate the amperage needed for each voltage rail, I assume maximum power draw, to leave room..
Do your part and SANITIZE. Keep your computer virus-free.

#4 Man_or_Astroman

Man_or_Astroman

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:21 AM

Just curious, what's the make/model of the power supply..
Do your part and SANITIZE. Keep your computer virus-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users