Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 toodawgs

toodawgs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

I'm running an HP a6700y computer with a AMD Phenom 91503 Quad-Core Processor with a 64-bit Vista Home Premium OS. All of a sudden overnight the computer won't connect to the internet. The modem is a Motorola SM56. When I try to connect all I get is the following error message: 'Loop current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line connection.' I do as told and still get the same error message over and over. I've tried different phone cords to no avail. I know the phone line is good because this computer I'm on at the moment connects just fine on the same phone line. Any help would be much appreciated. We did have a pretty severe thunderstorm last night but I thought I had unplugged everything before the heavy stuff hits us.

tyia,
toodawgs

Edited by toodawgs, 13 May 2010 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

You might find this page helpful from Motorola.

http://www.dtkme.com/support/downloads/dri...odem/readme.htm

But here I'll post the answer for you.

Get An Error Message “Loop current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line connection”

When you try to dial a connection an error message box pops up, indicating that you are not connected to a proper analog phone line. This is the SM56 digital line guard feature, which protects against hardware damage if the modem is plugged into a high current phone outlet -- such as a digital phone jack. The modem automatically detects the over-current and goes back on-hook before hardware damage occurs. Check the phone outlet and make sure that it is a real analog phone line. Try another analog phone jack.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 toodawgs

toodawgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

MrBruce,
Thank you for your response. The problem with Motorola's answer is the PC has been plugged into the same phone line for over a year with no problems, and this PC I'm on at the moment is using the same wall outlet. My phone line hasn't been changed to digital, that I know of, especially overnight. I don't even have any idea what a digital phone line is. I live out in a rural area of Kansas and I only have the one (1) phone line, hence only having dial-up. Could the thunderstorm/lightning have had anything to do with it? I appreciate all your help in the matter.

toodawgs

#4 toodawgs

toodawgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

MrBruce,
I just came across another confusing thing. I was going thru C:Users\Documents\Test Event Logs from the Hardware Diagnostic Tools Log File and came across this bit of info. The test says that the modem is a Dynex DX-M102 SM56kb Data Fax Modem. What the heck? If this is true why would I be getting error messages about a Motorola SM56 modem. I'm getting more confused by the minute.

thanks again,
toodawgs

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Dynex is the brand of modem, the company that packaged it. Motorola is the company that made the actual chip (SM56). There are only about 5 different drivers that cover the remaining dialup modems left on the market so the drivers used are specific to the chipset and not the brand.

Chances are very good that your modem is fried. I go through this after thunderstorms here in S TX with my rural customers who are still on dialup. This is similar to the one I have been using/buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-003-_-Product It has a Lucent/Agere chipset and seems to work well with telcos. It's cheap, and I get a volume discount at some sellers. I avoid USR softmodems like the plague. Make sure you run some sort of line protection on those phone lines. Sadly, many suppresors still don't clamp fast enough to avoid killing a modem, but it is better than nothing. If you are lucky all you lost was a modem, and not a motherboard slot.

Edited by dpunisher, 14 May 2010 - 12:25 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users