Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NO BOOT! HELP!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RaveKira

RaveKira

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

I was at work one day, loading groceries into her car and I notice an old Dell in the back, being a computer geek I asked her what it was going to. She said that she was dumping it and I asked her if I could have it, she said it just wouldn't start. I'm in a hardware class now and I know enough of the Bios and Post and what not to get around but not anything enough to fix this.

It starts up and flashes the loading screen for Vista, goes black screen then gives me the Dell starting screen, loads for a second as it runs the boot process and then gives me four choices in a CMD-like screen: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally.

Of course, I started with Last Known since the woman said it wouldn't start and for fear of breaking it more, I'd see if it wasn't just a virus problem. Well, nothing happened. It repeated exactly what happened in the second paragraph(Above). All the other options end the same exact way.

At one point, though, I got into a place where I could choose the OS to run, I thought I was getting somewhere, but it just when and ran through the original mess. I can't get anywhere with this computer.
....So..
I have no idea what to do and I am WAY too lazy to drag this freaking thing into my teacher to have him look at it, so could someone help me?

All I have is the Tower and what I got inside of it. I have no Windows anything disks. *headdesk* I need help, please.
The dell is an Optiplex GX270

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

Ok, so what you are saying is the computer hangs at some point, is this correct?

If this is correct and you know a little bit about the computers BIOS utility, you might want to go into the BIOS setup and see if it is configured to HAULT ON ALL ERRORS. If this is true, then change it so it does not hault on any error.

Next thing to do is look for any wording related to the following group of words in the BIOS menu section such as Load best configuration or Load System Defaults in some cases the F5 is associated with one of these BIOS configurations. Which ever keys they are referenced to use those configurations.

Make sure any changes you make to the BIOS are saved by hitting the F10 key and confirm those changes with a yes, when asked.

I suggest you also look to make sure the system date and time are correct, if they are not, then your CMOS battery has died and needs replacing.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 May 2010 - 11:49 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

What I would do in this instance is download a Linux LiveCD, and boot it up and see if it boots. If it does then you can access the hard drive and see what all is there in the root of the drive. You may also see the Dell Recovery partition and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users