Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stupid 'Data Protection' Virus

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LexiRulezd00d

LexiRulezd00d

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

I recently got this virus called Data Protection. It pretends to be an anit-virus software and is blocking certain sites on my internet, sometimes even blocks the internet so i cannot use it. Although it allows me to go certain sites such as Facebook, Myspace, Google and all the search engine websites, but when i search for anti-virus programs such as rkill (a friend recommended it to me) to kill the virus, it fully loads the google search page but when i go to click on a website such as this one, it either blocks the site saying i have internet connection problems or redirects me to another search site that looks fake and that i've never heard before. The only way i could go on this site is to go on safe mode with networking on my computer. I have Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Spywareblaster, Spybot- Search & Destory, Spyware Blaster and when i had my computer in safe mode i was able to download the rkill program. Last night i ran rkill and followed the instructions and then ran Malwarebytes, it found a ton of viruses and another major virus i had that caught and got rid of. But didn't find the Data Protection virus. I'm getting really frustrated after studying malware, spyware and adware viruses i'm still having trouble as in figuring out what type of virus this program is and how to kill it. I'm trying to save my mother money to fix it. I somewhat know how to use anitvirus programs and what to do, but this is getting very hard. I was wondering if anyone else on this site has had or still has this Data Protection virus and knows how to get rid of it?

Also i would like to add that i have a Windows XP home edition. And have the rkill.com rather than rkill.exe

Edited by Budapest, 13 May 2010 - 06:48 PM.
Moved from Introductions ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HijackMeThis

HijackMeThis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Get a USB drive and use another computer to download SUPERantispyware.
Go into safe mode and run a scan with it.

#3 LexiRulezd00d

LexiRulezd00d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

I actually have that program on my computer. I used it a couple of days ago and said it found just a couple of small viruses. Should i try running it again on safe mode?

#4 HijackMeThis

HijackMeThis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yeah it would be worth a shot

#5 LexiRulezd00d

LexiRulezd00d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Alright, thank you :thumbsup: and have you heard of the Data Protection virus before?

#6 HijackMeThis

HijackMeThis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

I have been infected with one like it, but it was called MalwareAlarm, those Rogues are really really annoying.

Also you could try Avast! (download on a USB and transfer to your infected computer) and run a boot scan. It works really well against those pesky rogues.

Edited by HijackMeThis, 13 May 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#7 LexiRulezd00d

LexiRulezd00d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

Very annoying! I'm not sure if this virus came from one of those facebook links like the koobface viruses or what they are called. My mother got a message from her cousin saying she was in this video and showed a video, and my mom clicked on it and we just have been having problems with the computer now. I had a virus a couple days ago which was like the data protection one but it was called AV Center antivirus, or something like that. I got rid of it though, but this stupid Data Protection does not want to get off! D:

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

You can take a look here: Remove Data Protection (Uninstall Guide)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 LexiRulezd00d

LexiRulezd00d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks! :D I'll try that.

#10 LexiRulezd00d

LexiRulezd00d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hmmm i've tried that but the data protection is still there :/

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Did you update malwarebytes before you ran it? Malwarebytes find anything?

#12 LarryMac

LarryMac

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

I got this one at work myself. I hit it with ATF Cleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware, since MBAM was getting blocked and my browser kept redirecting any time I tried searching for Data Protection. They deleted a bunch of stuff and a registry tweak that killed Task Manager but Data Protection is still there (though I can now end the process in Task Manager).

I updated MBAM and it still doesn't find anything, though - although my internet functionality is back once I manually end data protection.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

#13 regedit man

regedit man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

i know this virus cuz i downloaded it from the malware domain list.found a solution.in safe mode .click start,cilck on run,type in regedit,click the plus sign on computer,click the plus sign on HKEY CURRENT USER,scroll down n click the plus sign on SOFTWARE,scroll down a lil and u should c the folder data protect,right click on it and delete the whole folder,now scroll down to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE,click the plus sign on SOFTWARE, find the data protection folder n delete the whole folder,the green shield go away.or download eset nod32 antivirus.Eset was running on my computer when this happend,but i manually deleted the virus.bout a hour later eset cleaned and deleted alot of files from that virus.plus remove data protection from the add or remove program list.then delete it from where it was downloaded to n start yo computer up in normal mode.

#14 bigroute40

bigroute40

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

I have tried to do just what REGEDIT stated but was not able to get into safe Mode So I created another user and then went into msconfig and had to set up for safeboot only then was I able to get into Safe Mode . I have a list of the possible files that may be affected should I wait for scan to finish or just remove them manually ..The Virus may be affecting only the user is that possible though eventually it will spread throughout ..

#15 regedit man

regedit man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

I have tried to do just what REGEDIT stated but was not able to get into safe Mode So I created another user and then went into msconfig and had to set up for safeboot only then was I able to get into Safe Mode . I have a list of the possible files that may be affected should I wait for scan to finish or just remove them manually ..The Virus may be affecting only the user is that possible though eventually it will spread throughout ..

sorry.the file is a trojan dropper cause eset picked up alot of files later that u wont c. dont go into safemode, i promise u it works.remove manually b cause eset didnt find it.if u google data protection virus someone else has the same problem,i stated this resolution n it worked for them. REGEDIT in regular mode. sorry. i didnt create another. user i just ran regedit. n it might disable your task manager when its removed, cause mine was disabled :thumbsup:

Edited by regedit man, 15 May 2010 - 11:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users