Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI cable identification help needed.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 doingitwell

doingitwell

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

I ordered a DVI cable from Newegg and got it today. Plugged it in and BAM-NOTHING on the screen. I was using a VGA cable with DVI-VGA adapter until this one arrived. I got to looking at the plugs and they are for the most part the same, except for one thing. On the DVI cable end where the pins are, there are a bunch of pins in a rectangle and over to the side is one single small spade type pin. (You can see the pictures below) The one pic shows the adapter, and by that single spade pin there are 4 small pins around it. On the DVI cable in the other picture there is NO small pins around that spade pin. That's the type of DVI cable I ordered and got.

I got back on Newegg and looked some more, I'm not seeing any difference.

What the heck am I missing?

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I have a DVI cable, however mine does not have those 4 little pins located around the flat spade pin as you call it. Is that what you're refering to?

However my Geforce 6200 Video card does have holes for those 4 little pins.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

Oh yes Mr. Bruce, it's a small world isn't it!!

Yes, my adapter I'm using to go from DVI-VGA has those 4 little pins around the bigger spade. The cable I got doesn't have those. Wait a tick, I'm a dork and nobody agree with that. :thumbsup: I just remembered my monitor has two inputs and I didn't switch it after I plugged the DVI cable in. I'll be right back and let you know.

#4 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Dang it, that wasn't it. I switched inputs on the monitor and it read "DVI Input 1" but there was no signal. I got to looking at my video card output plugs a little closer and in fact it does have the 4 small holes that surround that small spade pin. I also can confirm I see metal connectors inside those 4 small holes. I'm still guessing I got the wrong cable.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

Ok I got what you are saying you needed those 4 pins for your specific monitor, my bad, my application here does not require those 4 pins, because my screen is different.

Yeah you obviously bought the wrong DVI cable for your monitor.

You should look into if you can send it back and have it replaced with the correct plug type.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

Check this out

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=DVI+plugs...hI4TYsQODybHFDw

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

That worked rowal, thank you!

#8 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

Well here's what I found out about my DVI cable problem. The video card I'm using has a DVI-I dual link output. My monitor has DVI-D dual link input. It appears they don't jive together. I guess maybe it's a good excuse to buy a new monitor. :thumbsup:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Well here's what I found out about my DVI cable problem. The video card I'm using has a DVI-I dual link output. My monitor has DVI-D dual link input. It appears they don't jive together. I guess maybe it's a good excuse to buy a new monitor. :thumbsup:

Well look at the bright side, now you have an extra monitor kicking around for when you need one for trouble shooting another computer. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users