Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jjdefan

jjdefan

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

When attempting to use Windows Update, the service downloads all the updates then fails on installation. None of the updates get installed. System is Windows XP SP1. I can manually download and install, but this machine was brought to me with no updates ever being done and there are 32 available updates. Any assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

Do you Have a Dial-up Internet Connection? Sometimes an ISP will cut off an "idle" connection, usually right in the middle of a download session.

Also, you can try to clear your "Cache" in Internet Explorer. Here's How: Tools-->Internet Options-->General-->Temporary Internet Files--> Delete Files and then click OK.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 jjdefan

jjdefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:03 PM

The system is not on dial up. It is connected via high speed. Clearing the Cache had no effect. System still will not install updates. They will download, but not install.

#4 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:33 PM

Hi there,

Essentially you need SP2. Now, it can be rather tricky to install. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

and:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

N
If however you are still unable to download it, Windows is offering a 'free' SP2 update CD which most people get in around 6 days.

Let me know if that's of help :thumbsup:

Big Smiles

HS

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

Quick Checklist:

Trying to update all Updates at once sometimes doesn't work cause a certain Update might need the System to Restart Immediately,browse through them real quick, a lot of times it will specify if it is a stand alone Installation.

1. Are you logged in as the "Administrator"?

2. Make sure your "drivers" are up to date.

3. If SP2 is listed as an available update, don't try to install it, you must be up-to-date with SP1 first.

4. Add the MS update site to your "Trusted Sites" list in I.E.

5. Do you use an Anti-Virus, Firewall, Spyware/Malware programs? It's a good idea to get cleaned up of any "Malicious Content" before applying a heap of updates.

6. When you try to install the updates, do you get an "Error" code? If yes, you can navigate to FAQ while on the Update Site and click "Microsoft Update Troubleshooter", put in OS and look for your Error #.

If none of that works, I'm sure someone, if not me will have it figured out soon.

Make sure to update to I.E.6 if not already, I read about some problems somewhere that stem from trying to update Pre-SP2 updates using I.E.5.

Good Luck,

nos
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

I think that I would just make a slipstream CD, combining SP2 with the SP1 CD. Then I would do a repair install from that CD...then visit the WinUpdate site.

SP1 and SP2 are cumulative. Any updates that Windows need after those two can be easily installed at the WinUpdate site.

Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2 - http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

MSFN - Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide - Page 1 - http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49/

Was the install of XP an upgrade over an existing operating system?

You could also try putting the computer on autoupdate for XP. If that is working and the files truly are already downloaded, XP will try to install the updates.

You might also want to look at this link:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/.

Louis

#7 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

Hi there,

Just on a cautionary note, before updating to SP2 run your AV's/anti-spyware scanners and perform some online malware scans. Serious issues can occur if you update to SP2 and there is any malware on your machine.

Big Smiles

HS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users